Changes

"Allison! Come on this is getting ridiculous now. Please just come out," Jasper pleaded on the other side of the door for the tenth time.

But instead of complying I only sunk back further into the bathroom and replied, "I'm not letting you see me like this!"

"So when will you let me see you?"

I thought about it. "Probably next year."

I could hear him sigh heavily. "You're not serious."

"I am very serious."

"How will I explain this to the children?"

"Tell them their father let their mother make a very bad decision and now she can never show her face again."

There was a pause and I imagined him rolling his eyes at me. "You are not pinning this on me."

"Yes I will!"

"Allison, you are thirty-one now. Take responsibility for your own actions."

"No."

Another sigh then he mumbled. "She's worse than Ella."

"I heard you!"

"Allison, darling, please," he dropped his tone to a more gentle level. "Just come out. I finally got the kids to bed and I kind of want to see my wife who has been avoiding me all day."

I bit my lip actually considering his offer. Damn him and his soothing voice. Plus I really wanted to see him too after this hellish day. But just not like this. Still, I offered, "If . . . if I come out, do you swear you won't laugh?"

"Of course."

"And you swear you will still love me?"

"Until the day I die."

My cheeks reddened at that. "And you promise you will still think I'm attractive?"

"I will make love to you as soon as you step out of that door."

I made a face. "That's a bit excessive."

"Just come out!"

"Fine fine!" I huffed then apprehensively started to open the door I've been hiding behind since he came into our bedroom. My heart was pounding against my chest although I knew I'm making this into a much bigger deal than what it really was. Still, I squeezed my eyes shut when I stepped out afraid to see Jasper's reaction. When I didn't hear a gasp or shriek of terror I slowly opened my eyes until I saw my husband standing there in front of me, one hand in his pants pocket looking at me exasperatedly but otherwise not repulsed like I expected.

"Ah, so my wife does exist," he smirked. "Thank goodness. That's one less awkward conversation I don't have to have with Ella and Robbie."

"Oh hush," I lightly hit his arm to which he only laughed. But my annoyance with him only lasted a second before the reality of the situation finally settled in. When he was done laughing I let out a deep sigh and asked "Well?"

"Well what?"

I played with the ends of my hair now dangling above my shoulders nervously. "What do you think?"