Chapter 1: Roots

"I'm going back to my roots
Another day, another door
Another high, another low "

I'm so bored. I look around the small boutique store I've been working at for three months now and sigh. There is currently no one in sight except my awesome/sometimes crazy co-worker Emma. She's on her iphone intently watching the latest episode of "Game of Thrones". I feel like the only person in the world who is not obsessed or have watched the show.

First, I don't have cable and second, I have never been interested in that genre of shows.

I notice that the wall clock shows the time as 5 P.M. It's Friday, so once I think about it, it makes sense why it's empty. Everybody's probably getting ready to go out with friends or go to the boardwalk just down the street from here. I'd rather be there too. The boardwalk or "Kemah Boardwalk" is an amusement park that overlooks the bay and has games as well as rides. My mom was recently hired as a cashier at one of the many gift shops there. She loves the hours and her co-workers.

I just moved here to Kemah from Houston three months ago with my mom and 10 year old sister Kayden. It's not a drastic move since it only takes about 40 minutes for a one way trip.

Nonetheless, we decided to move just to get away from the city and be close to the water. Sometimes a change is needed. I love the fact that Kemah is small and we live just two streets down the boardwalk and the boutique. I walk home or use my bike since we don't have enough money for a car for me yet. It sucks but you have to work with what you have.

"Want to play a round of "what would you rather" with me?" Emma questions as she finally puts down her phone.

"Okay." I shrug. There's nothing else to do.
..............................................................

"No, I'm not picking one! Both are just horrible and super painful just thinking about them."

"You have too! C'mon." Emma pleads.

"Both suck. Its either have a fingernail pulled off slowly with pliers or have a toothpick underneath your toenail and kick the wall. I think I'd rather die."

"I pick kicking the wall because I'll do it quickly." She reasons as if it's a normal thing.

"I pick neither. Final answer. Sorry, can't do it."

"That's no fun." Emma pouts.

"Ya'll can leave now girls, I'll take over till closing." Dan our manager surprises us. I didn't hear him come through the front door. Dan and his wife Gina own the store. The only other employee is their niece Aimee. Which I won't even start on because she annoys the hell out of me. Which reminds me, I work with her tomorrow. Ugh.

Emma looks up and has a big smile on her face. "Thanks Dan, I was actually planning to meet up with some friends tonight. You sure you don't want to come with me Audrey?" She looks at me excitingly. She is the only friend I have now since I didn't have friends back home. I'm not much of a social person so I never go to parties or anything. For a twenty one year old, I really have a pathetic life. I'm just more of a stay at home and watch tv/read books person.

"No thanks, maybe next time." I answer.

"Ok, you better. You need to have some fun." she hugs me and walks out the door to get in her car and meet with her friends.

I turn to Dan and tell him goodnight as I leave the store and walk home. My bed is calling my name and I have to deal with Aimee tomorrow so I really need to just rest. She is so annoying it takes all my willpower to just to put up with her. She never helps out at the register and you can usually always find her texting away on her cell.

CHAPTER NOTE: Which would you choose from the "would you rather game"? Both just sound so painful :(