Chapter 25: Radioactive

"Welcome to the new age"

Six months later....

"Happy birthday dear Audrey, happy birthday to you!" Everyone around me finishes the song and claps.

"Make a wish!" Kay urges me.

"Wish for a unicorn!" Emma jokes.

I feel like I have everything I need so I close my eyes and wish for everyone I love to be happy. And okay, maybe I also wish for a unicorn. I then open my eyes and blow out the twenty-two individual candles on my chocolate birthday cake.

"How do you like your mini party?" Nate questions beside me.

"It's great. Thank you." I kiss him on the cheek.

He planned this party all by himself which is impressive. This morning he took me out for breakfast, then when we came back home, I opened the door and all I heard was "SURPRISE!" At first I freaked out since I've never had a surprise party before but then when I recognized the faces, my heart calmed down.

My mom, Kay, Emma, and Matt were there in the living room which was filled with ballons and streamers. It's not alot of people for a party but I don't care because these are the people that matter.

We are currently all hanging out in the kitchen sitting around the table.

"Time to open presents!" Emma claps.

"Okay..." I reluctantly agree. I hate opening my presents in front of people because I hate having to control my reactions. Also I could really appreciate and love the gift but I just don't look excited. Its like "I really love it, I do, trust me."

"Open mine first! It's from me and Matt." Em passes me a tall pink sparkly gift bag.
I know she picked this out on purpose because she knows I hate the color pink.

I start taking out the tissue paper and notice five bags of hot cheetos. "You guys, you really know the way to my heart." I fake a tear after holding up the bags for everyone to see. I notice something else at the bottom of the gift bag and sigh.

"I can see you love it." Matt jokes.

"You both know I'm not into this show." I eye Emma.

"I know, that's crazy! That's why you and I are going to watch it together." She exclaims.

I just shake my head and put aside the dvd from the first season of "Game of Thrones".

Next I open the gift from my mom and Kay. They got me a coach wallet that I had been eyeing when we went to the mall together. Inside each slot was a gift card from every store I like. I, of course love it.

Then comes Nate's gift. I unwrap the medium sized rectangular box and inside I find a mini toothbrush/toothpaste, travel sizes of shampoo and conditioner, and other small stuff you would find in the travel aisle.

"Um, thank you?" I don't really know how to respond since I'm not sure why he got me these items.

"Do you not like your gift?" Nate questions.

"Uh, of course I like it. These things come in handy." Is this what he really got me? I mean it's better than nothing. I'm starting to feel bad that I didn't seem more excited about it. Maybe he's not good at buying presents. After all I remember when he needed help picking out a gift for his sister.

"Your face right now is priceless!" Nate starts laughing along with everyone else. Alright, what is happening? I feel like I'm missing something.

"Why are you all laughing?" I finally ask them annoyed that they know something I don't.