Chapter 5: Second Chances

"I won't break you
I will not let you down"

"Get away, ew." I whisper-shout at the mosquito that entered the store and will not stop flying around my face. If mosquitos could understand us, I would tell it to go after Aimee instead.

"I'm ready to check out." A customer informs me while I'm still awkwardly swatting around and almost hit myself in the eye. I take a second look at her outfit. She has everything yellow. Shirt, pants, purse, shoes, and jewelry. Safe to say I think it's her favorite color. Suddenly I find myself thinking about minions.

I smile at her and start ringing her items up. We are pretty busy so far today. Aimee is putting out the new clothes shipment we got this morning. I'm just shocked she's actually helping. She only does when a cute guy comes in. As I say thank you to the customer, I feel my phone buzz and am about to check it but put it back as another customer comes up to the counter. I'll just check it later.

"I'll be back Audrey, Im going outside for a little bit to talk to Chris on the phone." Aimee barely gets out as she passes me to get to the front door. Chris? Oh yeah, that "rich guy". I just hope she doesn't take too long. Some more customers just entered the store and if they all checkout at the same time its going to be a long line which usually equals unhappy customers.

Twenty minutes later just like I thought, 8 customers have all lined up at the register. Its not too bad but they have alot of items so I go get "queen" Aimee to help.

"Please wait a minute, I'm going to get another cashier to help the line go faster. I'll be right back." I say with a smile to the customers.

As soon as I open the front door I see Aimee sitting on a bench talking on the phone. I try to get her attention but she's to busy talking.

"You know, you are so funny. I can't wait until we have our dinner date soon." I hear her say to Mr. Rich guy. I finally yell her name and tell her to come help me. I think I see her roll her eyes but she tells the person on the phone that she has to go and that she sends kisses. Now its my turn to roll my eyes.

"Sorry for the wait, I'm ready for the next person." I say as I get back behind the counter.

About 2 hours later, it has finally slowed down and I remember about my phone. I tell Aimee I'm going to lunch and she just nods her head while painting her nails a deep red. I hope she can handle the store for 30 minutes.

I go down the street to a sandwich shop, order off the menu, pay and finally get to sit down.

I check my phone and see 3 text messages. I smile as I see they are all from Nate.

Testing.... 123

Hello?

I'm dying here, its a federal emergency, can you call me when you can? (If you're not busy)

I laugh at the last one. It was sent 20 minutes ago. I guess I'll call him. Federal emergency and all.

"Hello." he answers on the fourth ring.

"Hmm, it doesn't sound like your dying, whats this emergency?"

"Just wanted to talk to you."