Chapter 7: Ready Aim Fire

"An empire is falling
In just one day
You close your eyes and the glory fades"

I get to the store just before it's time to open. Like literally one minute before. My alarm didn't go off and Kay and my mom were still in bed. I hate being late, but technically I'm still on time. Right?

I expect Aimee to already be there but when I unlock the door and enter, all the lights are off. Well I guess I'll just have to start getting the store ready by myself.

30 minutes later I hear the front door open and look up. I see Aimee walking in while texting on her phone. I'm surprised she never bumps into anything. One time while I was texting and walking in a grocery store I almost hit my head on one of those things that weigh the fruit.

Aimee still has not even looked at me.

"Good morning Aimee." I really try not to roll my eyes as I tell her.

"Oh, hi. Sorry I was late. Just that I was busy texting Chris." She says it as its a valid reason to be late. In other places I don't think it would be okay to come in late and just be like "I was busy texting, but now I'm here." But her uncle is the boss so she gets more freedom.

About an hour later customers start to come in and it stays steady.
My phone starts ringing and as I silence it I see it's Emma calling.

Ever since I told her about yesturday, she has been bugging me to tell Nate that I like him. The thing is, we are friends now and I don't want to make it awkward for him. Ugh. I'm just going to forget about. Just have to keep reminding myself he's just a friend.
One that makes me feel like I have butterflies in my stomach and my heart race everytime I see him. Okay thinking about that is not helping. I'm just going to distract myself with work today.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That plan didn't work since it has now slowed down and there's nothing really left to do. Its almost five in the afternoon. Plus Aimee keeps looking at her phone, I'm sure expecting a phone call or text from Chris. Which reminds of Nate. Crap. This is stupid.

I hear a door open and am surprised to see Emma walk in.

"Hey Em, what are you doing here?"

"I forgot my wallet in my locker. I was going to go out then realized I didn't have it on me. Will you come with me Audrey?"

I look at Aimee and she's busy taking selfies so I think it will be okay to go to the lounge for a little bit.

I start walking with Emma and as soon as I enter the lounge she closes the door.

"Call him or I will. I will be like hey by the way, Audrey likes you."

"First, you don't have his number, second he doesn't like me and third, I don't want to mess up our friendship."

"Well, maybe I'll run into him. And why do you think he doesn't like you? Remember when you first met and he asked you on a date? Plus I've seen how he looks at you. Trust me, he likes you."

"He was probably kidding about the date. It was just a bet." Trying to move on I ask her "So you didn't forget your wallet? You just made that up?"