Chapter 3

When I woke up, Arru was gone off my chest, and I heard his meows downstairs.
Walking to the kitchen to find him I noticed he was cooking, again. He was sat on the counter, reading an old cookbook my grandmother bought me. I never used it, so at least he made use of it. He swiped a page.
"Moow!" He leaped up noticing me. Every time he saw me it looked like he was smiling.
I sighed. "What're you making?" 
He pawed at the pan handle on the stove. It had chicken in it and some rice was in another pot.
Where did he get this..? It looked like decent chicken, probably expensive stuff. I never bought chicken, but plenty of rice. I didn't have much money to spend on good foods.

I helped him cook. He didn't do too much when I started helping, he just rubbed against me purring, seemingly happy I was there.

Although it was breakfast time, 9 a.m, we ate the chicken and rice together. I preferred this over pancakes or eggs anyways.
"Arru? How old are you?" I said bringing him a pen and paper.
A 'one' appeared on the paper.
"Do you know how to turn that into human years? Since you pretty much are." I giggled.
He put a 18 under the 1.
He was older in human years than I was, but that didn't stop him from being my 1 year old kitten. He was still a baby.
I was a year younger than him.
For a seventeen year old, anyone would think it's strange to live alone. However, if you're a smart-enough dropout with an at-home job, it's pretty normal. This was my parents old home and since they've retired early they gave me their house to live in another county over.

"I'm gonna go get a shower, I feel gross." I pet his head.
He didn't meow as usual, and was turned away from me.

I cleaned myself. It wasn't anything eventful. I didn't wash my hair since I did a day ago.

After I got out and changed my clothes, someone's voice was in my living room downstairs. I didn't recognize it, which alarmed me.
"Mama?" I heard a boy say.
What. I was frozen. I couldn't reply. I don't like talking to intruders.
"Can you come here, please?" I heard the same sad voice.
No. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that. I couldn't really believe an intruder would try to get me to come downstairs so easily.
"I'm c-cold.." It sounded like he was crying.
I thought about my options. I could call the police, but my phone was downstairs, in the living room. I could sneak out the house, but I was on the second floor. I could hurt myself. I remembered I didn't care. I just went downstairs, waiting to die or not.
Fuck the will to live, am I right?
First place I looked was the couch. It had a lump of blankets on it, and they were moving. A huge lump, like a body. I knew it was the intruder, and walked up to it anyways.
I prepared myself for whatever, and pulled the sheets off.

There was a shivering naked body underneath them. The naked part wasn't what first caught my attention, though. On top of the boy's head were a set of cat ears, much like Arru. And a long, matted tail was peeking out behind him.  

What? Again.

I didn't scream, back up, or even hurt him. I stood in shock. The ears and tail moved.
"I'm cold!" He cried at me, pulling the blankets back on himself.

"What..a-are you?" I stuttered. "And why're you n-naked..?"
"Naked?" He got up and tilted his head.
I didn't want to have to explain what naked was, but it didn't seem like he was joking. So, I avoided it and asked him something else.
"You...Uhm, what exactly is with the e-ears and tail?" I squeaked out. My throat felt weak from fear and confusion.
"Those are my ears and tail!" He joyfully said.
He was cute, but scary as ever.
"Why do you have them...?" I didn't know what to ask.
"Cause I'm a kitty! I'm a neko!" He giggled, "I'm Arru!"
His tail swayed happily. It wasn't fake. You couldn't make that stuff up.