Chapter 11 - Awaken

Day 44 September 28th 2025

Riley's P.O.V.

I sat in the hospital room, brushing my fingers through my teddy- brown hair in a bitter frustration.

I just hated hospitals. There was something about them that somehow, made me feel uneasy. From the repetitive bleeping of the heart monitors - that makes it impossible to think, to the bleached, white walls and sense of sombreness; there was definitely something unbearable about these ghastly places.

Montana's mom had reluctantly left to go and rest, leaving me alone with Montana. I remained seated on the large chair, next to the bed - the same place I had been for the last several hours.

At this rate, I could be here for several more. I though to my sleep-deprived self.

As I glanced at the patient chart that read 'M Winters' and then at the bed, where an unconscious Montana lay, my heart crippled with a monumental ache. When Montana first collapsed, my chest tightened at an alarming rate, an awful feeling washed over me. An ominous feeling that can only be described as a gargantuan guilt.

It was me who persuaded Montana to come the beach, it was me who pushed her into hanging out all of the time - I pushed too hard and now, look at the result.

I had caused her to collapse. The thought had tormented me for a good few hours.

I was suddenly snapped out of my thoughts when Montana's doctor entered the room. He stared at me; a grave expression etched onto his face. He then explained that Montana's collapse was as a result of her not taking her medication.

The revelation hit me like a bullet to the brain.

The doctor quickly noticed my frowning expression.

"I'll leave you to it." He said hesitantly before making a swift exit.

The guilt I had felt quickly teased away and was replaced with confusion and anger. I didn't like feeling this anger towards Montana. I didn't want to feel it.

I just couldn't help but feel that her actions were incredibly selfish. She had a mother that adored her more than life itself, she had a job, a home, friends. She had me.

Why would she try to give up like that?

I just couldn't contemplate what it was I was feeling. I felt anger - but not the usual kind. It was like I felt angry because I cared, because I wanted to protect her. I felt worry and panic and anxiety and - an-

And love.

I felt love.

This startling revelation hit me like a tonne of bricks. How had it taken this long to put my finger on it? How did I not acknowledge the feeling I got, every time I looked at her.

How had I not seen, that I was in love with Montana Winters?

*******

It was nearing midnight, when I absentmindedly began to drift off. As I rubbed my eyes vigorously, I sensed that Montana was waking. I bolted upright as her eyes fluttered open and finally, she woke.

"Hey, sleepyhead."

Montana's P.O.V.

I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the bright lights. My brain was mushed. It felt like I had been sleeping for an eternity.

"Hey sleepyhead." I heard from close by.

That's when everything came into focus and I noticed Riley sat near by. He groggily stared at me with red, stinging eyes and I realised he must have been here for hours.

My heart melted a little at the thought.

"Where's my mom?" I asked exasperated.

"She went to get some rest." He replied simply.

I nodded in acceptance and then an awkward silence prevailed.

I wasn't sure why the atmosphere felt strange but it did. A few minutes passed by before the silence was broken by Riley.

"Why did you stop taking your medication?" He asked seriously, making scarily good eye contact.

I sighed, resenting the fact that he knew.

"I didn't see the point." I answered honestly.

"Didn't see the point?" He questioned. "Montana that medication is what's keeping you alive." He exclaimed.  "What would your mom do without you?" He continued.

To which I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

My mom? I thought. What about you?

Seeing my annoyed expression, Riley then placed his hand on top mine, on the bed.

"What would I do without you?" He asked.

My heart raced dramatically. I threw my hand through my pink locks, tying to avoid eye contact at all costs.

Is this what I have been waiting for?

"I think I know what you were trying to say on the beach." He continued.

I grimaced with embarrassment, remembering the moment I was about to tell him I loved him.

Riley's hand had suddenly became clammy, his voice seemed more anxious and his eyes manoeuvred around the room. I couldn't understand this sudden change in behaviour .

Anxiety ran through me.

"Life's too short Montana." Riley said simply before taking an inwards breath and continuing.

"So will you-" he tried.

"Montana Winters, will you be my girlfriend?"

____________________________________________________________
Edited - if you see any mistakes, let me know.

Author's notes
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment! Again, I've been really busy but I'll try to update as much as I can! I've finally started editing today! I've decided to change the year to 2025 and I'm working on all the pacing issues! I hope you all stick with me as I make the improvements! :)

Sorry about all the updates you will see lol!

Most importantly, I've completely re-written the prologue, which I'm posting now but I'm unsure whether it's better than the old one or not?!?! If people could read it and let me know your thoughts and feedback, that would be really helpful.
Pm me! :)

Skylar xo
Question of the chapter: do the chapters seem to be getting better in terms of pacing?

P.S - Thanks so much for over 4K views! I'm blown away! Updates coming ASAP!