Chapter 15

The man in the power armor didn't even flinch at me killing one of his men. That's fine, I'll kill him too. I'll just need back up, and for my partner not to be dead.

I looked at the boy, assuming he was the one Finch was asking me to retrieve. Looks like he ran, and wasn't kidnapped.

"Hey, your father is worried sick. Help me, and I'll get you safely back to your father."

The boy scoffed, still  holding the gun to Deacon's head.

"I chose this. He doesn't care."

I frowned.

"Of course he cares. You're his son. He wouldn't have asked me to come get you if he did't care. Please, let him go and help me get you out safely."

He paused, as if thinking.

"And if I don't?"

I sighed, not wanting to hurt him, but seeing no choice.

"Then I will kill you too."

I saw Deacon frown at me, but I needed him to get out of this without a bullet in his brain. The boy widened his eyes, then quickly cut Deacon loose.

"I'm too young to die. You've got to get me out of here!"

The raider with the power armor shouted for the others to attack.

Deacon stood up and took his gun from the top of a crate. I immediately begin shooting the boss, using V.A.T.S. to ensure headshots. it didn't do as much damage as I would have liked since he was in power armor, but I would get him eventually. Raiders swarmed Deacon and the Finch boy, who stood back to back and fought off the group. When a raider got too close to Deacon, I would shoot them in between taking shots at the raider boss. Another flamer came after me as I fought the boss above the vat. I turned around, and kicked him in the chest. He flailed his arms uselessly before toppling into the melted iron.

I got close enough to the boss to jump on his back, and I pulled my combat knife out of my belt and stabbed in between the crevices in his armor, aiming specifically for the seam between the helmet and torso. He tried reaching his arms behind to grab me, but the suit restricted his movement too much. I shoved the knife in the crack, and he growled in pain. I pushed it in further before pulling it out, and smashing the eyepiece of the helmet with the hilt.

"That's for thinking you can take Deacon and get away with it, you asshole!"

He turned around, with his back to the wall and fell back, smashing me in between. I couldn't help but scream in pain, and gasp for breath. The raider leaned forward and fell again, causing another shattering wave of pain. he leaned forward to do it again, but ended up falling forward instead. I looked down and saw Deacon rush up the stairs to get me as I fell to the floor. I held my chest and gasped for air, and Deacon knelt next to me.

"Are you okay?"

"Just peachy."

"Seriously?"

"No, Deacon. I need a stimpak."

He searched my bag and pulled one out, then pushed it gently in my arm, then stepped back. I felt my breath slowly come back, and I stood up carefully. Deacon quickly put his arm on my waist and pulled my arm over his shoulders.

"Careful, I don't want you to hurt yourself worse."

"I'm fine now."

I wasn't. I was, however, embarrassed that I was hanging off of him like a drunk whore. He didn't look like he believed me. 

"Deacon, I'm fine. I can walk on my own. I was just out of breath."

He sighed, and slowly let me stand on my own. I reached for the rail and held on tightly as I walked down the stairs.

"Let's get you home, Finch."

The boy sighed.

"Jake. My name is Jake. And yes, let's go."

Deacon walked next to me, and I let go of the railing and ignored the pain as I walked.

"Off to Finch Farm, then."