Chapter 20

After hearing what Virgil could tell me about the Institute, I called Deacon back into the room to fill him in.

"So we know that they use teleportation to get in and out, and Virgil says there's a special kind of synth called a Courser, and they have a chip in their brains that have a special frequency to use the- what's it called?"

"A Molecular Relay."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. A Courser? Boss, those things are only made for one thing, and that's to hunt."

I nodded, thinking.

"In order to get the frequency for the Molecular Relay, you two will have to kill the Courser and pull the chip from its brain."

"It won't be the most difficult thing we've done, Deacon."

Deacon lifted his eyebrow.

"Really? 'Cause I'm pretty sure it is."

Virgil watched us argue for a few minutes, then cut us off.

"As we were saying, you can find the Courser near the C.I.T. ruins. Tune in to the Courser frequency on that Pip-Boy of yours."

"We'll get right on that. As soon as I can actually move."

I looked pointedly at my wrapped chest. Deacon sat on the bed, frowning.

"I think we should wait a while before doing anything crazy."

"Fine. I'll wait until I'm healed. In the meantime, pass me a few stimpaks. I want to go back to Sanctuary, and stay there."

Deacon nodded and searched my bag for the stimpaks, and handed them to me. I immediately shoved the needle in my arm to take away the pain and speed up the healing process.

"It looks worse than it is. You should be up and about in two weeks."

I breathed deeply as the pain began to subside, and thanked Virgil. I put my hands on the bed frame to stand up. It was a bit of a strain on my body, but I was insistent on going back to the settlement I built. Deacon quickly stood next to me and held my side to steady me and help me walk. As we were leaving the cave, Virgil asked for a favor in return.

"When you get to the Institute, find my lab and bring me the cure, please. It's a small syringe on one of the tables."

I looked over my shoulder.

"Of course. We'll be back as soon as possible."

....

Back at Sanctuary, I laid in the bed upstairs. I was visited by the people I had met in my time in the Commonwealth. Piper was first to come see me. She replaced my bandages and brought me food.

"You two took on a deathclaw? Crazy. But it could make a great story."

"You could get Deacon to tell you what happened."

"Um, no. I'd rather hear it from you."

I tilted my head. Why didn't she want his side of the story?

"Alright. I'll tell you everything when I get better."

"Promise me?"

"I promise."

"Great! I'll see you later, Blue."

She walked out of the room and I closed my eyes to rest. I didn't get very long to myself before Nick walked in and sat next to me. I pretended to be asleep, hoping to get some time to myself.

"You cant fool me, I know you're awake. You might as well open your eyes."

I rolled over and looked at him.

"Are you going to tell me to be more careful next time? Because if I can avoid feeling this helpless again, I'll do it."

Nick chuckled.

"Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not here to lecture you. I wanted to make sure you were okay, and see if you need anything."

"No, I think between Piper, Sturges, and Deacon, I'll be fine. They are going a bit overboard with taking care of me, actually."

I smiled at Nick, who nodded.

"I'm here if you want to talk, anyhow."

I thanked him for that, but I am trying to avoid the whole feeling thing. I already had the problem of starting to have a thing for Deacon. 

"Thanks, Nick. I'll let you know if I need someone to talk to."

He got up and left, leaving me alone. I leaned over the bed to pick up my bag. I pulled out a few stimpaks and used one. I put my bag on the floor again, and saw my shirt had fallen on the floor. I picked it up and remembered the recall code in the pocket. I really wanted to read it. But I promised I wouldn't unless I needed to. Then again, he didn't have to know I read it. I took the folded up paper out and read it.

Trust no one.

I flipped the paper over, expecting something else to be on the other side. It was blank. What the hell? Is that the actual code? 

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and I quickly put the paper back and threw my shirt under the bed. Deacon walked in.

"How are you doin', boss? Feeling better?"

I nodded.

"Yeah, I feel a bit better. I have a question about your recall code."

He lifted his eyebrows.

"Did you read it?"

"Uh, no."

I paused.

"Yes. I read it. It said trust no one."

I watched him as he began to laugh really hard. And it started to click. The things he told me, what he tells Desdemonda, and why Piper wanted to hear my side of what happened.

"Oh my god. You're a pathological liar. How the hell did I not see that? So I'm guessing you're not really the head of the Railroad?"

He grinned at me, still chuckling.

"Yeah, I guess I embellish the truth. But it makes things so much more interesting."

"Will you come here?"

He walked closer to the bed.

"Can you come closer?"

He nodded and sat on the bed. I pulled my arm back and smacked his chest.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You aren't even a synth, are you?"

"I guess you'll have to figure that out for yourself."

I rolled my eyes at him.

"When I can get up, you better hope I forgive you for all that crap."