Chapter 45

Preparations to blow up the Institute lasted for over a week. When I felt we were completely ready, I asked everyone to join me for dinner. I spent all afternoon thinking about what I would say to them to keep them in high spirits. And I knew there was no way we would make it through without any casualties on our side. I needed to enjoy whatever time I had left with my friends.

At seven in the evening, the food was ready and everyone sat down to eat. I looked around at all of the wonderful people I had met over the past few months. I stood up and raised my bottle.

"I want to thank all of you for being here. Being here means more to me than just seeing my friends. It shows me I have support in the dangerous times that lie ahead, and without you all, I would surely fail. But together, we have the chance to make the Commonwealth a better place. Now that's really what redefining mankind is about. You all mean the world to me, and I certainly wouldn't have made it as long as I have without each and every one of you. On that note, let's eat and have a good time tonight!"

There was a chorus of clinking glass as I pulled my chair up and sat back down.

"How long did it take you to write that speech, boss?"

Deacon leaned and whispered in my ear. I smiled and whispered my response.

"Longer than I'd like to admit."

He grinned lopsidedly and started serving food to everyone.

"That was really heartfelt, Blue."

Piper put her hand on my arm and smiled.

"Thank you. My first real friend out here, and I'm glad it was you."

I smiled back at her and handed her a plate. We ate and talked for two hours. The table slowly started to empty as one by one people went to bed. When it was just me and Deacon left, he stood up and took my hand. We went upstairs to my room and turned on the radio. We danced and sang along as each of the well known songs came on. Swinging around the room and laughing was just what I needed to get my mind off of tomorrow. I felt happy, and the moment was perfect. When we exhausted our energy, the radio was turned off and we lay on the bed.

I knew we wouldn't be able to get much sleep, but going through the motions had a calming effect anyway. I lay there, running the plan through my mind over and over until the sun came up. That's when I finally got some sleep.