Chapter 17

Kodan whinnied desperately and began pawing hard at the ground as Ara began to fall. The Elven female whipped her arms out and caught Ara just before she hit the earth. Laying her gently down, she studied the cut. The other Elves reached him and began to set him free.

Kodan linked his mind with the Elve. "She's been exposed before."

She looked down at the tiny cut. "It will be enough to kill her," she remarked despondently.

Though the other Elves tried to stop him, Kodan hobbled, three legged with the fourth wobbling unnaturally, over to Ara and touched his horn to her flesh. The others had to shield their eyes against the blinding light. When he pulled back, a tiny drop of shifting black Darith danced at the tip of his horn. He released it to the ground and then turned to Ara, but she didn't wake. He blew on her skin and smelled life there.

Kodan lay down beside her, wrapping her still form with his body. Despite his pain, he entered Ara's body. Though her face was peaceful, a battle raged within her as her body worked to fight the effects of the poison. All Kodan could do was fight with her, one element at a time. Between the two of them, Ara finally began winning. Only when Kodan finally felt Ara backing away from death's door, did he heal his own shattered leg.

 Only when Kodan finally felt Ara backing away from death's door, did he heal his own shattered leg

www.amberargyle.com