Rings

My heart leaped in my throat as he dug out a recognizable, small box. I couldn't breathe.

Eric opened his eyes and got on one knee.

My heart and mouth dropped, my eyes grew incredibly wide, and I sunk in my seat. My hands covered my mouth in an attempt to stop me from interrupting.

He looked up at me with his soft eyes, somehow they were scorching with passion. He pried open the box, presenting his mothers ring which glistened in the sunsets rays.

"To meet someone as extraordinary as you is the biggest blessing of my life. I've never been more thankful to see such a precious smile like yours. You're the reward for everything I did right in life and I will never get over how much of an amazing, beautiful woman you are. I cannot imagine a day that I won't love you. I devote my life entirely to protect you, fight for you, love you, and do absolutely anything for you. As long as you love me as I love you, there's nothing else in this world that I need. So Danica, will you do me the exceptional honor and be my wife?"

I was sobbing, hyperventilating, and shaking. I flung in his arms and grasped Eric so tight I almost knocked him over, "Yes, Eric! Yes!"

Peeling off of him, he slid the beautiful ring on my slim finger, and finally kissed me.

Eric smirked devilish, "Ready for the other part of your present?"

My hands still shaking, I nodded.

"You have three days to get bathing suits and sunscreen, because we're taking a trip to Bora Bora."

I felt my legs turn to jello, but then I sprung up and began to jump around like a small child. I was such a hypocrite. I had everything I could ever want, but somehow Eric always seemed to surprise me.

***

My mom was not thrilled about me leaving to Bora Bora for a week, but she knew nothing she'd say was going to make me change my mind.

I decided not to tell anyone about my engagement, and kept my ring hidden. We agreed to have an engagement party a month after we'd get back from our trip.

Getting off the plane was such a relief, and a beautiful view. Palm trees surrounded the perimeter of the airport runway, and the humidity was a tremendous change.

Leaving the airport, Eric had an escort waiting for us at the exit doors, who was holding up a sign saying; Laven.

The friendly man took our luggages in a cart and hauled it across the street and into the sand, heading for the beach.

Trailing behind, I tugged on Eric's arm and whispered, "Where are we going?"