Guilt

Danica's POV:

I can't remember the flight back home. I just opened my eyes and I was already at home.

I was resting on a bed, our bed. In our house.

Though, when I woke up, I expected to see Eric. But as my vision began to clear, I then came to realize it was Santiago.

He jumped up from his seat when he seen me gain consciousness, "Danica, you're awake!"

I felt lost for a moment. How was I back here? Was I losing my mind? Was this all just a mirage?

As I looked around, I noticed the slits on my arms were professionally wrapped in gauze. My stomach was twisting in the starvation.

I was in a oversized t-shirt under four layers of blankets. I felt warm and cozy.

But my body was so emaciated that I could hardly feel my arms move, they felt as if they weren't there. Completely weightless.

My mouth was parched and I was craving food.

"Hungry," My voice was weak and raspy, nothing like I sounded before. It hurt to speak, My lips felt glued together and dried out.

Santiago lifted a tray from the table beside him, walked to me, and sat the dish on the nightstand.

Before feeding me, he helped me quench my thirst with a tall glass of water and I instantly felt my heart beat faster, from the gratitude.

Slowly, I began to get reenergized bite per bite. After ten minutes of binging, I had the strength to speak fluently again, "Where is Eric?"

Santiago's eyes dropped and he slightly frowned, "He's recovering at the hospital, but he ensured me to take care of you."

My brows furrowed as I tried to recall, "Recovering from what?"

He stared at me with incredulous eyes, "You don't remember?"

I shook my head in confusion and he continued. "Marcello shot him, on the calf. Luckily there was no excessive bleeding and he was treated quickly. You don't remember anything?"

"Everything is blank. All I remember is sitting on the floor... over there," I gestured to the foot of my bed, "Before I got kidnapped by Marcello. Did you find my ring?"

He swallowed hard, "Yeah it's in here." Santiago got up from the chair beside the bed and walked over to the other side of the room, towards a dresser.

I noticed a mirror, in the corner and felt my insides twist. With enough vitality, I got out of bed and stepped to the glass.

When I came into the frame, I nearly shrieked.

This was not me.

I was a walking skeleton. My athletic figure was gone, and all that was left was the bones beneath my skin.

I turned away, unable to see anymore of my cadaver. I wailed and the dry tears felt as if they were streaming down my face.

Santiago came to me, and gently cradled me in his arms.

I cried out, burying my head in his chest, "It's not fair! I didn't deserve this!"

He caressed my back and hushed me, "I know, I know. Marcello is gone, he'll never come back again. You're safe now." He lied down on the bed, with me still wrapped in his arms.

"Promise me I'll be okay. Promise, please." I was sobbing, gasping for breath.

"I promise you'll never have to go through that. You're safe now, Danica. You're safe."

My weeping soon came to an end, and I lied my head on his shoulder. My eyes were sealed shut, trying to erase that scarring image of my unhealthy body.

Eric's POV:

I was resting in a stiff hospital bed, recently finished being operated on.

My entire calf had been numbed, and luckily I was unconscious during the extraction surgery.

The room was quiet and vacant. Too quiet, it made me uncomfortable.

The stillness was interrupted by the door creaking open, an optimistic head peeked through, "How are you feeling?"

I groaned at the sight of her, "Oh, it's you. I'm fine, thanks."

Alessandra rolled her eyes and she walked in, shutting the door behind her.

Her voice turned unstable and squeaky. "Is it true he's gone?"

She must've known about Marcello.

"Yeah," I gulped in a little despair, "He's no longer a nuisance."

Her arms were folded, and a tear streamed down her cheek. She swallowed a dry lump and smiled deep in thought, "I'll miss him."

The memories of me and him began to flood in. Before being love struck, we were inseparable. He was my wingman, my ride or die.

I still remember our fight, the fight that ended our friendship. I'll admit, what I did to him was uncalled for. The guilt was settling in. "So will I."

"What did he say to you before, he... you know." Ales asked softly.

My eyes fell to the floor, "He insisted I break up with Danica. For her own safety."

Her brows furrowed, "And you believe him?"

I shook my head slowly, "He made a good point. I mean, you seen what he done to her! I could never forgive myself, ever! I can't imagine what the other leaders would do."

"Love takes sacrifice in order for it to be worth it." She shrugged.

"I'm not risking her life. She means so much more than just a girl to me. I don't want her to be in danger, and my world... its malicious."

"Are you considering letting her go?" Ales slightly pouted.

"I can't be selfish. She doesn't need me, Danica has such an amazing life ahead of her. I don't want to risk anything. She's too vulnerable to them." I heard my voice break in the sadness.

"How are you planning to tell her?" She flickered her eyes.

I stiffened, "I'm not."