Vacant

"Missed me?" His sinister voice purred.

My instinct was to scream, for anyone. But he immediately pulled a gun out at me before I could even react.

"I'm actually kind of hurt that I wasn't invited." He pouted.

I had to find a way to call out for help. Or to run, at least. Think, Danica. Think.

"Eric's coming." I barked, in an attempt to mask the truth.

His expression didn't change like I expected, "Well, we better get going then."

I shook my head frantically, "No! I'm not going anywhere with you!"

He stepped to me with the gun pointing at me, "It wasn't a question. Get up."

I bit my trembling lip in fear.

I knew for a fact he desperately wanted my ring, and I refused to give him the satisfaction of receiving it. I couldn't do that to Eric, I know how much it means to him. And so with that thought, I slipped it off my finger, behind me, and flicked it under the dresser I was in front of. I hoped someone would find it eventually. It'd leave a bold clue that'll guide Eric once he realizes I'm gone— which won't take much longer.

He clamped onto my arm aggressively, and tugged me out the bedroom and towards the back door, keeping the gun pointed at my head.

There was a black Escalade, waiting at the curbside on the street. The car was started, and Marcello shoved me into the back seat.

He sat beside me with his gun digging in my rib. I watched our house get smaller as the driver sped off.

Then it had gotten so intense, I began to feel my heartbeat drum against my chest, my brain racing in circles.

I needed to find a way out. I couldn't deal with this. I refused to.

My breathing got heavier, and my vision instantly became hazy.

I yelled, "Let me out."

Marcello finally stashed the gun away, "Shut up, don't talk."

My surroundings. . . it was all so unclear. Soon afterwards I began to hallucinate.

Eric's apparition faded in the window, smiling so beautiful. Would I ever get to see his face again? Probably not. This was going to be the end— and bracing myself for it was heartbreaking.

I didn't get to thank him for all the wonderful memories. Or tell him I loved him. He needed to know that, he deserved to.

I awed, barely whispering. "Eric." I heard myself cry.

"I told you to shut up!" Marcello shouted at me.

That's when my brain finally began to understand the situation I was in.

If I didn't leave now, I was going to be held hostage for who knows how long— in the arms of a delusional psychopath.

My view cleared, and without hesitation I pinned Marcello against the window, slamming his hard head against the glass. He groaned from the impact.

I tugged the seatbelt and wrapped it around his neck, watching it tear into his skin.

He grunted, and before I knew it, Marcello's fist came driving into my jaw, knocking me on back. I remember feeling my head banging against the car-door panel.