Chapter 2 - The Uncovered truth

The storage room was dimly lit, the single bulb flickering as it swung back and forth. There was a damp smell in the air mixed with the strong stench of bleach. It took a moment for Finley's eyes to adjust to her surroundings. The room wasn't overly large but it was bigger than she'd been expecting. The majority of the room was taken up by a large row of shelves full of maintenance and cleaning equipment. She strolled into the middle of the room doing her best to seem fearless as she went. Secretly she was sweating, the adrenaline running through her veins. She turned around facing him. His red eyes seemed more menacing as he watched her.

Finley had taken down many vampires before and she had no doubt that she could do it again. But still she felt extremely nervous. Something about the way he was looking at her made her afraid. Still she couldn't let him know that. She flicked her hair over her shoulder casually, looking over at him under the edge of her long lashes. "What's it like being a vampire?" She asked.

He remained silent, before flashing a smile in her direction revealing his fangs. "Nothing like the movies, my dear."

She took a shaky step towards him hoping that she looked confident. "Are the rumors true? That there's some sort of supernatural market place where you all trade goods?"

Finley already knew the answer to her question but she wanted to act like she was clueless. Besides, he didn't seem to mind answering a couple of questions. She tensed as he came towards her in a flash, stopping just inches away from her face. "Why do you want to know?"

She shrugged, running a perfectly shaped nail across his shoulder, "Just curious."
She could see the doubt in his gaze but he dismissed it and moved onto a new subject.

"You seem awfully familiar, have we ever met before?" He asked curiously.
She froze, momentarily caught off guard.  She searched her mind for a memory of him but she was certain that she'd never met him before.

"Don't think so. Maybe you've seen me around here before?" She grinned.

He shook his head, "No I swear I've seen those eyes of yours before."

Finley opened her mouth to dismiss his words but then she froze. She'd never seen him before but she wasn't the only one who had grey-blue eyes. She thought of Aiden and her anger began to boil up. Maybe this vampire had been there when her brother had died.

Her thoughts were interrupted when he came towards her, puckering his lips ready for a kiss. She moved immediately grabbing the dagger from her boot and lunging towards him. The shock in his eyes said it all and then the true monster was awakened. He hissed, baring his blood stained fangs at her. His eyes grew wilder and more animal like. His dark veins seemed to bare out of his skin as his muscles flexed. There was something unnatural and feral about his appearance that sent chills up her spine. She swung the dagger at him, slicing a shallow cut in his forearm. In a split second he'd launched forward at her, grabbing her arms and shoving her against the bricked wall. Her head smashed against it with such force that she saw stars.

But then, the door flew open and both of them stared at the figure as he ran towards them. Finley was too amazed to move and for a moment she just stared. Kade darted towards them, grabbing hold of the vampire's shirt and pulling him off of her. The vampire stumbled slightly before regaining his balance and back handing Kade across the face. The force knocked him off his feet and he hit the ground. Finley moved into action approaching the vampire with her blade out stretched.

He snarled at her and she could see the rage that burned in his eyes. "Now I remember why I know you," he began a hint of disgust in the tone of his voice, "Your older brother tried to come after me one time. He had the same eyes and stupidity that you have. We didn't kill him quickly, we made him suffer until he begged for mercy. I wonder if you'll squeal like he did?"