Chapter 12 - Flying Solo

Finley got to her feet with a groan, clutching at her swollen stomach. She winced as she straightened up before heading out of the lounge room, where she'd been resting for the last few days. Harley had been very strict on her instructions, one of which being no climbing the stairs. So Finley had resorted to the couch rather than spending her nights in the uncomfortable infirmary bed.

She'd felt rather helpless over the last few days. Her body was so exhausted and sore that the slightest activity seemed to affect her. Harley had been running around at her every demand for days but now Finley wanted some independence back. She hobbled out of the lounge room and towards the kitchen. She could smell the freshly baked muffins from a mile away and her stomach rumbled with hunger.

As she entered the kitchen she spotted Harley. Her head was buried in the oven as she pulled another tray of muffins free. The kitchen was a mess, batter and remains of the ingredients scattered across the counter. Not to mention the mounds of bowls and dishes in the sink. Harley spun around placing the tray on the bench with a smile plastered across her face.

Finley moved further into the kitchen and it was only then that Harley noticed her. "Finley!! What are you doing up?" She asked alarm in her sweet voice.
Finley shrugged taking a seat and reaching for a muffin. Harley frowned swatting her hand away before she even got close.

"You should be resting," Harley complained. She ran a hand through her blonde hair before huffing. "I should have expected this I suppose, I know you don't like to do what you're told."

Finley grinned at Harley's disapproving glare. "I'm fine besides I rested for three days.  I can't lie around forever."

Harley looked at her for a few moments before sighing, "Fine, but no training and the stairs are still off limits. We don't want your stitches coming loose."

Finley debated the proposal for a moment before agreeing. "Okay. Now can I have a muffin? I'm starving."
Harley picked one of the muffins up and handed it over. Finley grinned before taking a bite. The flavor was immediate and she sighed in relief. It was good. She was aware that Harley was watching her curiously.

"Should I bother asking about Kade?" She questioned. Finley froze slightly mid bite before swallowing. She hadn't heard a word from him since their fight. He hadn't come to visit, he hadn't called and hadn't texted. She supposed it was her own fault. She'd made him leave. She shook her head muttering under her breath, "There's nothing to ask about."

"Why hasn't he come to see you?" Harley asked softly her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She was moving the remaining muffins out of the tray and onto a wire rack so that they could cool.

"He doesn't have to. It's not his responsibility," Finley shrugged. She took another bite of the muffin trying to do her best to hide her disappointment.

Harley stopped what she was doing, her blue eyes searching Finley's face. "Why wouldn't he come? I saw him the night you got hurt, he was a mess. I just figured he would want to see you."

Finley downed the rest of her muffin before standing up. Her stomach ached but she ignored it. "We had a fight okay. He won't be coming back around for a while."

Finley turned and headed back out of the room not daring to look back. She could hear Harley's footsteps as she followed. "What was the fight about?"
Finley frowned and sighed turning around to face Harley.

"I don't want to talk about it okay? It was my fault and he left and he's not coming back," Finley replied.
Harley was silent for a few moments before she nodded. "Okay."

Finley moved towards the entry grabbing her jacket off the hook. "I'm going out, I'll be back later."
She grabbed the door knob and turned it. The fresh air washed in and Finley took a deep breath.