Chapter 16 - Final sacrifice

Finley met Arlin's cruel cunning gaze, her face in disbelief. Out of everything he could have asked for, this was something she hadn't anticipated. Giving up her own life to save Kade's. She could hear him in the background, fighting to get free and screaming at her, urging her not to do it. But her heart ached at the thought of him dying for her.

She looked over at him meeting his green eyes that were filling with tears.  His face was bloody, his chest rising and falling quickly and there was a terror in his eyes that she couldn't help but notice. He looked like he was in so much pain. She could read the message in his eyes as he begged her not to do it. But her mind was already made up. She couldn't lose another person that she loved.

She turned back to Arlin his gaze waiting for an answer. She took a deep breath to calm herself and nodded. "Yes," she said firmly, "Yes, I will give up my life to save his."

Arlin's grin intensified and a terrifying look crossed his face. For a moment Finley thought that he was just going to kill them both. But then he laughed, a wicked and harsh sound that echoed around the room. "Well my dear, it looks like your boyfriend will live another day."
She sighed in relief. "Can I say goodbye?" She asked softly.

Arlin regarded her intently before nodding in agreement. He snapped his fingers and her restraints opened. She didn't hesitate to dash across the room and into Kade's arms. He clutched her tightly despite his restraints. His hands gripped her waist and she buried her head against his shoulder, willing herself not to cry. She closed her eyes for a few moments trying to memorize everything about him in that moment. She stood like that for a second before pulling back just enough to meet his eyes. The pain and desperation reflected in his gaze was enough to make her heart crack as she looked at him. She could see the tears in his eyes and it made her feel like bursting into tears herself. But she held back her sobs and looked at him.

His black hair was thick with sweat, his face was battered and bruised, and his beautiful lips had a cut on the corner. He almost looked unrecognizable but despite his appearance she couldn't look away. She needed to keep the image in her mind.

"Please Finn, don't do this," he begged her, his voice cracking with emotion.
She had never seen him like this before and for a second she almost considered doing as he asked. But she couldn't bear to watch him die. She couldn't lose him. "I can't let you die," she whispered.

"Tell Tate and Harley that I love them. Tell them to live their lives and forget about me. Promise me you'll tell them," she asked.
He shook his head, "No Finn, you can't do this."

"I don't have a choice!" She said softly. She could feel the tears in her own eyes but she refused to let them fall. She had to be strong.
He ran his hand along the side of her jaw, tenderly almost barely touching. She shivered under his touch. "Do you love me?" He asked.

She looked at the beautiful boy standing in front of her. He looked broken and beyond repair but he was asking her if she loved him. The boy who she had fought and argued with. The boy she had hated and loathed. The boy who had stolen her heart with kindness. The boy who had kissed her and held her like she had hung the moon in the sky. The boy who looked at her with all his soul and loved her with all his heart. The boy that she had fallen madly in love with.

His gaze was so intense as his beautiful eyes watched her every move. After everything they had been through, this was by far the hardest thing she had ever had to do. This was the moment she was going to leave him forever. The thought that she might never see him again was worse than any pain she could ever endure.

Her breath caught in her throat as she answered him. "Yes," she breathed, "Yes I love you."
Tears filled his eyes as she watched a tear fall down his cheek, "Then don't do this."