Chapter 8 - Playing the part

"How could they sit by and watch those people get tortured?" Finley said her lip trembling as she spoke.

Her hands were shaking as she paced across the balcony. The cool night's breeze caused bumps to rise on her skin. The soft clicking of her heels on the concrete path was audible as she moved. The night's sky was clear, the moon shining like a beacon. Her eyes were still full of tears and she couldn't seem to control her anger and despair. She could hear the distant cries and wails of the victims as they were tortured on the stage. It was so cruel and inhuman. It was so monstrous and Finley's mind couldn't even begin to comprehend it. 

Kade's arms were crossed over his chest and his green eyes were following her as she walked. Concern was evident on his face. But Finley was ignoring him as she moved across the balcony desperately trying to control her emotions. He sighed before moving in front of her stopping her in her tracks. "Finley just relax."

She stared at him her mouth slightly open at his words. How could he be so calm? After what they had just witnessed he didn't even seem slightly upset. He sighed reaching his hands out to hold hers. The warmth from his hands warming hers as they touched. "I just mean that as much as we both want it to stop there is nothing that we can do."

His hands gently held hers, the warmth from his fingers sending electricity through her. He was right, she couldn't deny that. Her face fell. "I just can't stop thinking about my parents going through that," she said her voice soft. Her mind was whirling over what she had discovered. She couldn't stop her mind from picturing her mother and father in that situation. What had they been through before they died? And what about her brother who had been murdered by the same monster. What had he felt before his demise?

Finley's eyes were full of tears, the anger beginning to rise up. How could anyone do this?

Kade took a step closer to her. The close proximity of their bodies blocked the frosty air and she felt warmer. "I'm sorry that they had to experience that," Kade said sincerely.

She nodded her eyes drifting away from his. In that moment, she longed for him to wrap his arms around her and tell her that everything would be okay. His touch made her feel safe and protected and she hadn't felt that in a long time. She just wanted to feel safe and loved after years of being alone. Harley's earlier words echoed in her ears. Was it possible that he felt something for her that was more than a friendship??

She dismissed the thought as a wave of cold air blew and she shivered. Goose bumps appeared on her skin and her body tensed. "Cold?" Kade questioned.
She looked back over at his face and shook her head, "I'm alright."

He raised an eyebrow at her before moving his hand up to touch her cheek. She was too caught off guard to move as he rested his hand gently on her face. His thumb gently moving across her skin. His hand was gentle as he touched her and it was comforting. She kept her eyes fixed on his as he silently looked at her. She watched his eyes move across her face from her eyes to her nose, down to her cheeks and then to her lips where they froze.

She stood completely still as he moved closer without a word gently brushing his lips across hers. Her breath caught at the strong feeling of his arms as he pulled her into him. The slight brush of his lips against hers was enough to send fireworks skyrocketing through her. His hand rested against the small of her back, the skin warming with his touch. He pulled back just enough so that he could look at her. His eyes glimmered with lust as he looked at her almost like he was asking if he could continue. When she didn't push him away he seemed encouraged and pulled her against him.

He pressed his soft lips against hers with more force and her body reacted instantly, her arms wrapping around his neck. Her eyes fluttered closed as she took in the moment using her touch rather than her sight. She sighed against his lips as he kissed her gently but with a certain amount of pressure. Her fingers weaved through his silky black hair and for a moment all the horror of what they had seen vanished. It was just the two of them, together, wrapped in a beautiful breathtaking moment.