Chapter 5 - The beginning of a friendship

Sweat was pouring down Finley's face as she ran up to the front of the house. Her lungs ached as she tried to breathe normally. Kade was only a step behind her looking equally as exhausted. His brown hair was plastered to his face and he was panting, taking deep ragged breaths. They had sprinted two blocks, not once stopping so that they could reach Tate and Harley. But Finley didn't know how much help they would be.

She pulled the door open and headed inside not waiting for Kade to follow. "Harley?" She yelled loudly still trying to catch her breath.

Finley could hear a faint sobbing sound coming from the spare bedroom where they had set up an infirmary. She didn't hesitate to throw the door open and head inside. The room was brightly lit which only made it easier for Finley to see all the blood coming from Tate's chest. She froze her face as white as a ghost. Tate's eyes were closed, his breathing shallow and the blood was falling from his chest and running down the side of the bed. There was too much blood.

Harley's tear streaked face met Finley's, the pain and worry clear on her face. She looked frantic. "Quick Finley, grab some towels and some bandages from the bathroom!"
Finley froze momentarily before darting from the room in a panic. She dashed past Kade who was still trying to catch his breath.

"Finley wait!" Kade called as she rushed up the staircase. She didn't bother stopping. Whatever he needed to say could wait. "Finley!" He said stopping her as she started to go back downstairs.

"What?" Finley snapped at him. He seemed a little hurt before sighing.
"You're still bleeding."

She shook her head, "I don't care. That's not important right now. Did you see Tate? He's dying. I need to help him."
She knew that she was blabbering but she couldn't help it. She was too afraid to think rationally.

"You're right, he does need your help but if your arm gets infected you won't be much help. Let me help you," Kade replied sincerely.

She nodded and let him walk her back into the bathroom. He gently wiped her wrist which was in fact still bleeding before wrapping it up tightly. She watched him do it, his movements gentle and precise. He glanced up at her when he was done, "Okay let's go and help your friend now."

Harley's hands were covered with blood as she tried to keep pressure over the large wound in Tate's chest. Tate's body was sweaty and completely unmoving. Finley could feel her own hands trembling as she got close to the bed where he was laying. She couldn't lose Tate as well. Harley hastily took the towels from her and pressed it against Tate's chest. She looked panicked, "What do we do Finley?"

Finley didn't know what she was supposed to say. Her mind had gone completely blank and she couldn't think of a single solution. She took a deep breath trying to remember Tate teaching her about first aid. She'd never paid much attention in those classes and now she was seriously regretting it. "We need to clean the wound and try to stop the bleeding," she said softly.

Harley nodded anxiously before launching into action. She grabbed a wet face washer and gently tried to clean the area around the wound. But there was just too much blood. Finley pressed a bandage over the wound trying to stop all the blood. Her hands were trembling and she didn't know what she was supposed to do.

"Maybe we should call someone?" Kade suggested a little hesitantly. Harley met Finley's gaze and together they silently agreed. "Call a warlock," she said.

Kade stood there for another second before rushing out of the room. It was well known to most people that many warlocks had taken up the job of helping the sick and injured. Finley just hoped that Kade knew who to call. It felt like forever before Kade finally returned with a tall woman beside him. Her gaze settled on Tate and she frowned before getting started. She ordered them to leave and they had no choice but to do so.