Chapter 11 - The fight

Finley waved goodbye to Tate and Harley as they headed out for the day. It was early morning, the sun was rising in the sky and the birds were chirping loudly. She watched as the car pulled out of the drive way and onto the street. Harley smiled through the tinted glass and Finley waved in response before watching the car disappear down the street.

She glanced down at her phone and smiled as she read the text from Kade. She'd messaged him earlier about what Tate had told her about Arlin's family. No one else in Arlin's family was a criminal. It wasn't an unusual finding but it was strange. Normally a few members of a family tended to get involved, especially when it involved supernatural creatures. But the Shade family was different. But despite not finding evidence in Tate's files, Finley wasn't about to give up.

She knew a place where warlocks went to trade and she intended to go there with Kade today. So she was just waiting for him to arrive. There had to be someone who knew of the Shade family. Someone who knew where they lived.

The roar of a motorcycle alerted Finley to the arrival of Kade. She walked down the hallway, practically skipping and opened the door. Kade was parking his bike in the driveway and setting his helmet on the seat. He glanced up running a hand through his dark locks before grinning at her. She smiled back as he approached. "Mornin' sweetheart," he said surprising her by planting a kiss on her cheek.

She blushed a shade of pink before moving aside and letting him come in. He strolled down the hall and she followed wondering where he was going. He headed into the kitchen opening the fridge and taking out the cold water. She raised an eyebrow at him but he didn't seem to care as he casually poured himself a drink.

It was like he owned the place, knowing exactly where they kept the glasses. She watched him silently as he sipped the drink. "So what was so important that you couldn't tell me over the phone?" He asked.

"We have another lead. We're going to see a warlock," she said a gleam in her eyes. She'd expected him to be excited but instead his face fell and he frowned.

He placed the glass down on the bench with a clang before moving back out into the hall without a word. She watched him go in confusion before following him. "Where are you going?"

He glanced back at her, muttering under his breath "Home."

She frowned at him.  "What? Why?"
He stopped walking and turned around to face her. His body rigid and tense. He seemed angry and she didn't understand why.

"Do you realize that the only time you invite me over is when you want to go waltzing into danger?" He questioned his mouth in a firm line.

She was surprised by his words and for a moment just stared at him in disbelief. She sighed, "Fine, I'll go by myself."

He shook his head, throwing his arms up in the air dramatically. "No Finley that's not what I meant. You almost got strangled yesterday and now you're ready to go back out there again?"

She shrugged, "It was nothing. I'm fine and now I'm ready to go out again. If you don't want to come fine but I'm going."

She headed up the stairs and into her room grabbing her phone off the vanity. She turned around and Kade was there again. "Finley aren't you worried that Arlin is going to find out that we're looking for him. We know he's a warlock now. He could do anything and we probably couldn't stop him."

"Of course I'm worried," she snapped frustration taking over, "But you said that you would help me if I wanted to continue looking and I do."

He sighed "I'm just worried you're going to get hurt or worse killed."
She could see the fear in his eyes even as he said the words and she felt guilty.