Prologue

The rain poured down the sides of the castle walls. Thunder roared and boomed in the grey skies. There was something about rain that felt so peaceful, so gentle. Like a mother caring for her child.

“Maya!” The male voice echoed through the immense building. “Maya, could you come here please?”

 Way on the other side of the structure, a little girl lifted her head up. Her keen hearing picked up the sound easily.

“Coming!” She answered. Lifting up her dolls into her small arms, she took off running. The short little white dress swung in a smooth motion. Her feet hit the carpeted floor with soft thumps. Moving with immortal speed she dashed by servants and residents of her father’s home. Turning a corner sharply, she reached his private study.

The familiar man was sitting in a chair placed elegantly to match the library-themed room. Another gentleman stood in the room next to her father. Neither of them had a smile upon their face. Both were looking concerned, especially the man sitting. “Daddy!” Their attention turned to her as she ran up. Maya dropped her dolls and leaped into his lap, hugging him. He hugged her back, but it didn’t feel quite right to her. Something was wrong.

As her eyes moved up and met his, she saw distinct sadness. “D-Daddy?” Confusion spread across her fragile face. “What’s wrong?”

He sighed, took a deep breath, then began to speak.  

“Sweetie, Daddy…” He swallowed hard, “Daddy is having problems with his powers...”

She frowned. True he wasn’t human – no one in that building was. But what problems could he possibly be having?

“Ok…?” Her small voice responded.

 He blinked several times.

“It means that I have to go away for a while.”

Her heart clenched. Although she was very young, still she could think with an advanced mind.

“How long?” Maya asked quietly.

Her father was silent for a bit.

She could feel the uneasiness from the other man standing close by. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other. Maya knew him as Uncle Drake. Although she knew he had no biological relation to her, he was her father’s closest friend and would always be trusted.

“I don’t know…”

Maya didn’t quite understand. Why did he have to leave? He looked fine! Her father embraced her small body firmly. After what seemed like hours, he let go. Lifting his daughter up, he placed her gently into Drake’s arms. Turning to his friend he spoke, “You take care of my little girl. I’m placing you as her guardian. Raise her right.”

Drake, her new guardian, nodded.

“Just as you would, Michael.”

Maya’s father kissed her forehead.

“I love you Maya,” He whispered, “I’m doing this for you. Remember that.”

Slowly he turned, and walked away into the hallway that seemed like a deep abyss. Once out of sight, she started to squirm to get free. This was wrong. She had to stop him.

“Daddy!” Maya cried, “Daddy!” She managed to get out of his arms and chased down her father. The little girl saw him walk swiftly out the large front doors and into the rain. “Daddy! Daddy wait!” Her attempts to intercept him failed. She stopped on the steps underneath the wooden awning and watched him stand alone several yards ahead of her. His body began to tremble and tear as he changed into his true and most powerful form – a werewolf.

His silver hair made him stand out from the others. It wasn’t a sign of age, but of greatness. Tall, broad muscular shoulders, and with the ability to walk on his hind legs like a man, he was an amazing sight. He was the leader, the king of the wolves. He dropped down to all fours and ran off. It didn’t take long for him to merge with the heavy rain, and soon disappear. Maya stood there alone, trying to comprehend that her father had just left her. Her only true family.

Numbly she sat down on the damp steps, feeling cold and alone. A soft echo came from the house behind her.

“Maya?”

She glanced back over her shoulder, finding Drake standing in the doorway with other concerned werewolves behind him. They all had a connection with her. She was special to them all. “Maya, come inside please.” He said quietly. As her eyes gazed back at him, her body didn’t move. It was as if it couldn’t seem to respond. Maya felt so lifeless. Realizing she wasn’t going to move, Drake came forward and lifted her up into his arms. The heat from his body was warm to her, but still Maya felt cold. Everything was over. Her father left her.

But that was a long time ago.