Chapter 11

Damien was shaking his head. We were in my room and I was packing a backpack. Emergency blood IVs’, clothes and two knives. Damien grasped my arms and pulled me down to sit on the bed.

“Maya why are you doing this? I told you before—”

“—Damien can I please have a little support? Jake and I are going to find my dad. That’s final.”

He looked at me oddly.

“Maya, didn’t anyone tell you? Jake went back home to his clan.”

“What?!”

I was shocked at hurt all at the same time. “But…but he said he’d help me…why would he leave?”

“I don’t know, but please Maya?”

“Then you come with me.”

“Me?”

“Yes! If you won’t let me go with this team, then you join it.”

Damien growled in his throat slightly and looked away.

“Fine.”

“Well I suggest you start packing. We leave tomorrow.”

“Very well.”

I got up and started packing again, making sure I didn’t need anything else. I felt Damien’s arms slide around my waist from behind. “I hate fighting with you Maya. I really do.”

“Same here.”

This was true. I didn’t want to make things between us hard. After all, we were going to be together for the rest of this eternity. I turned around to face him, his arms still around me. “Damien?”

“Hm?”

“Why don’t you kiss me?”

“Wouldn’t it be odd for a twenty-one-year-old to be kissing a sixteen-year-old?”

“Well, I’m going to be seventeen soon, and we have to get married sometime.”

“I guess.”

“Well…”

He turned his head away.

“Well I’d rather wait anyway.”

“Fine.”

He let go and started to exit the room.

“I’m going to pack. I’ll be back in a few.”

I nodded. When he was gone I flopped back onto the bed and groaned. Was my whole marriage going to be like this? No wonder dad wanted me to pick my own husband. But was it right of me to complain? Damien was a good guy and cared about me. He’d treat me right.

No matter, he was coming with me.

I closed my eyes and began to drift off, remembering when my father was still with me. I thought about when he would play with me, when he’d chase me around the castle for fun, and when he’d hold me at night when I had bad nightmares. I felt the tears swell up and form under my closed eyelids.

“Maya…”

My eyes opened and saw Damien leaning over me. He stroked my cheek softly. “Please don’t cry.”

The caring words didn’t help. Still I felt tears fall.

“Damien, I have to find my dad. I have to know what happened to him.”

He nodded.

“I want my future wife to be happy. If you need to do this…then I’ll support you.” I nodded and wiped my eyes. Damien crawled onto the bed and laid down beside me.