Chapter 13: Finale

A light groan escaped my lips. I turned my head slightly, trying to remember what happened, testing my limits. My body felt sore and trembled with waves of sharp pain. Where was I? Moving my arms I started to sit up. But someone pressed their hand lightly on my collar bone.

“No, no Maya. Don’t get up. Just rest.”

My eyes slowly creaked open. I wanted to know who was talking to me. My vision went in and out, slowly starting to focus. A man was sitting in a chair beside me. It took me a few moments to realize I was lying on a soft bed. The light in the room was slightly dimmed. Staring I examined the man quickly. His dark hair, his young face, his lightly toned skin, and his familiar warm smile.

Tears were in his eyes as he looked back at me with those amazing blue eyes of his. It was as if neither one of us knew what to say. He swallowed, holding back tears. “My…how’ve grown into a beautiful young lady.”

I smiled, happiness sweeping over me. “You look so much like your mother.” He continued. Still I didn’t know what to say. But to my dismay exhaustion fell onto me.

No, stay awake.I begged myself. But it was useless. My eyes closed and I drifted off into a deep sleep.

 *****************                       

Yawning I opened my eyes. My father was sleeping in the chair silently. I smiled at him. My father. Oh it felt so good to hear that, even if it was only in my head. My father. He looked just like how I remembered him, a young face, shocking blue eyes, a gentle yet strong voice. It was all there. Everything. But memories shattered this happy moment. I thought back to the vampires tearing me apart, the feel of their teeth and claws sinking into me, to Floyd attacking me, to…

Horror filled my nerves. Sitting up painfully, I swung my legs over the side of the bed. All of my limbs were bandaged up and stitched. But I paid no attention to them. Staggering forward, and biting my lip to keep from crying out, I stumbled out of the room. Putting my hand on the wall for balance and support I walked forward.

“Maya?!”

I looked up to see Rex jog up to me. “Maya what are you doing up? You should be resting! Not—”

“—Rex, where’s Jake? Is he ok?” I asked weakly, leaning against the wall for support.

He hesitated.

“…are you sure you want to see him Maya?”

I nodded.

“Yes, very much so.”

“I’ll warn you right now though…it’s not good.”

This worried me greatly. “Here, let me help you.” Carefully he picked me up and carried me down the hallway. Turning a corner he entered a room. Lying on a large luxury bed was Jake. He wore no shirt and his chest was bandaged up. Rex carefully set me on my feet and backed away. “I’ll give you some time.” With that he left. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Jake. He looked so helpless lying there. The bandages on his chest were a faded pink color where he had been staked.

I felt tears of hurt and worry roll down my cheeks. The salt stung the scratches I had, but I didn’t care. How could this happen? No, how could I let this happen? Resentment for myself started to form.

“Maya…”

I turned to see my father standing in the doorway. His expression was calm but his eyes looked very concerned. The werewolf king walked forward and hugged my small body to his large one warmly. The tears became heavier.

“How could I let this happen?” I sobbed. “How could I let him get hurt?” My father’s hands began to stroke my back.

“It’s ok Maya,” He said softly, “please don’t cry.”