Chapter 6

I walked on, muttering to myself. I knew having Floyd on my team was a good idea for safety, but he wasn’t much of a talker – which annoyed me. As I went on and on, I realized that it was getting very dark. Wandering back I continued to worry about my dad. Was he ok? Did he consider himself a king still? Was he dead? But one question scared me the most.

Would he remember me?

I lifted my head and stared in horror. I had no idea where I was, and it was getting very dark. Normally my natural beastly instincts would kick in and I could track back to where I was supposed to be. But I had been locked up in the warehouse so long that those skills had depleted.

Suddenly leaving the comforting home of the warehouse didn’t seem like such a good idea. Everything here was so…creepy. The forest seemed to close in on me. As if the trees wanted to inspect me, see what I was. Like the darkness that could blind me would make things easier for them. But there was just enough light for me to see. My heart began to beat at a million miles per hour. I felt eyes on me as I walked forward.

“Just keep going Maya, there’s nothing to be afraid of.” I whispered to myself.

“Maya, hu?”

I whipped around to find a tall, older guy standing in front of me. Probably in his twenties? “That’s a pretty name.” M eyes looked him over frantically, startled by his sudden presence. His scent wasn’t of werewolf. But at the same time, I really didn’t know what a vampire smelled like so there was no real way for me to tell for sure.

“Yeah, I guess.” I did my best to hide my teeth. Immortal or not, he couldn’t know what I was.

As he began to step forward, I took a step back.

“You’re lost, aren’t you?” He said sympathetically.

“N-No.”

He raised an eyebrow skeptically.

Keep your bearings Maya!

As he got closer I had a feeling…one in my gut telling me that he wasn’t mortal. He came closer to me and grinned – exposing his sharp teeth. My eyes widened.

Vampire.

“Really? Are you sure?” He taunted.

“Yes,” I said tightly, pretending I didn’t see his exposed fangs, “My friend is probably worried about me.”

Turning abruptly I walked in the opposite direction. Although turning my back on the enemy was a bad idea, I needed to get back to Floyd. He was probably freaking out that he couldn’t find me. Suddenly the boy was beside me.

“You know what I am, don’t you?” He said in my ear. Rolling my eyes I stopped harshly and turned to him. He looked a little taken back by this.

“What are you, Edward Cullen?” I snapped. “Yes, you’re a vampire. Big deal. Can I go now?”

His jaw slacked and his wide eyes gazed at me.

“Y-You’re not afraid of me?”

I rolled my eyes again.

“Obviously not.” I continued to walk. He leaped up, landing right in front of me, his expression still in shock. I groaned. “Are you going to be doing this all night?”

“I-I’ve never met a human that wasn’t afraid of me before!”

Human?

Then it clicked. Going along with this would be the best plan.

“First time for everything.” I muttered. His head tilted to the right slightly. “Look I have to go! My friend is probably worried sick about me!” I walked around him and continued to move. He leaped in front of me again. I roared. “Knock it off!” Out of anger I reached out to shove him. Instinctively he moved his hands out to block me. When our hands collided, I felt electricity shoot up my arms. Every nerve in my body went on high-voltage. My legs gave out from under me and I collapsed to the ground.

Silently I looked over to see the guy lying on the ground as well. We stared at each other in shock. I wanted to ask him ‘what the hell just happened?!’ but a roar clouded out ears. A beastly roar, one that could only come from a…

“Werewolf.” I whispered.

The vampire looked panicked, and started to scratch and claw and the ground. Finally he managed to push himself up. Staggering forward a little bit, he disappeared into the forest.

 ***************

Never have I heard Floyd talk before. The mystery of what might be his voice always plagued my mind. And now I didn’t want him to speak anymore. Floyd went on and on about how unsafe I was. And how unbelievably worried he was about me. His deep voice fit his body structure well. But it was also a little scary too. After finally calming down enough to speak like normal, he told me the second he awoke he took off after me. Following my scent he managed to track me. Floyd shook his head when he said he found me lying unconscious on the forest floor.  

“I’m beginning to doubt this plan of yours, Princess.” He told me sternly.

“I know. Floyd I’m sorry!”

He sighed and sat down on a rock nearby.

“You don’t look physically damaged. Nothing broken, no bruises or anything.”

“Because no one hurt me.”

“Then why were you on the ground?”

“Something caught me by surprise…but I don’t know what it was.”

In all honesty I didn’t. I didn’t know why I felt that …power surge.

“Are you sure?”

He looked into my eyes intently. I stared back, showing I was telling the truth. With a nod, he stood. “Do you want some rest before we continue?” He asked. I hesitated. Rest sounded great but I wanted to make progress. “You can sleep on my back, Princess.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Very.”

As he changed into his lycan form, I began to yawn and rub my eyes. Exhaustion began to take over my body. Climbing on top of his back, I made myself comfortable in the long fur. After making sure I was secure, Floyd ran off.