Chapter 4

“Maya, wake up.”

My eyes peeked open to Damien shaking me carefully. Looking around I realized we were still in the mustang. Wearily I stretched and sat up.

“How long have you been driving us?”

“A few hours. You’ve been out the whole time.”

“I can tell.”

Glancing around I noticed we weren’t in the city anymore, but somewhere in the forest. The rain was still heavy, making it dark outside. “So what do you want to talk about?” I asked.

“Us.”

A knot formed in my stomach and a shiver ran up my spine. “You cold? I’ve got blankets in the back.” He started to reach for one.

“No, no,” I touched his extended arm, “I’m fine.”

“Alright.” He pulled it back.

Nervously, I spoke.

“So what about ‘us’ do you want to talk about?”

“Well…I’m sure Drake told you.”

“That I’m supposed to…” My throat felt tight, but I forced myself to continue. “Y-Yeah he told me.”

“Maya,” He looked at me sadly, “You’ve never acted this way around me before.”

Guilt hit me like a brick to the head.

“I-I know,” I looked down and picked at the fabric of my jeans. “I’m sorry…this is just so…”

“Overwhelming?”

“Yeah…” Both of us fell silent until I spoke up. “So tell me how it works.”

“How what works?”

“This system. How did you get picked?”

Damien took a deep breath.

“I really don’t know except for that someone of high ranking in the pack chooses.” He answered. I nodded in response and continued to fidget with my pants. The lycan beside me sighed. “Maya, I know this is awkward…but I want to make this work.” I watched as he reached over, his fingers curling around my own. “I do care a lot about you.” I stared at his hand holding mine. Our skin touching. Werewolf and Half-breed. Hot and cold. I was silent. After minutes of me not saying a word, I finally spoke up.

“Can we go back to the warehouse? I…I need time to think.”

He looked a little hurt, but nodded in understanding. Releasing my hand and starting the car, Damien backed out down the long driveway. For hours we sat in silence. The level of awkwardness in the car was high the entire time.

When I saw the familiar warehouse I felt a sense of relief. Damien pulled into the driveway; we both climbed out and rushed in quickly. Everyone was lying around, sleeping in their lycan forms. Couldn’t blame them though, it was probably two in the morning. Damien walked me to my room. When I went in I noticed him looking down at me. I caught a little bit of worry in his eyes.

“Goodnight Princess. Sleep tight.”

Princess?

The fact that he called me by that term instead of my name bothered me.

“Goodnight Damien.”

With a simple nod he left, headed out to the semi truck where he usually slept. Closing the door behind me, I didn’t bother to get changed. Crawling under the covers I stared at my blank wall. The darkness made me feel cold inside. Although I was physically cold from vampirism, I was also warm on the inside from being part lycan. But not this time. I felt cold and unsure.

After what felt like an eternity of lying there, I knew I had to do something. I couldn’t let Drake down. I couldn’t let my father down. Maybe it will work out!I thought. Damien and I have known each other for centuries!Taking a deep breath I got up and went to see him. I had to tell Damien I wanted this to work out as well. Tip-toeing past the sleeping lycans I snuck out to the semi truck. Crawling in a saw Damien sitting on the bottom bunk, flashlight in hand and reading.

“Hey.” I whispered. He blinked but never looked at me.

Bad sign.

“Hey.”

“Can I talk to you?” I asked quietly.

“Mmhm. Just let me mark my place.” While I waited for Damien to get a bookmark I sat down on the bed by his feet. After setting his book down on a shelf, he hung the flashlight by a piece of leather above us. I looked over his familiar rich caramel colored eyes.

“So do you always use a flashlight to read in the dark?” I asked. He laughed and shook his head.

“Is that what you came out here to ask me?” 

“No,” My cheeks felt hot, “I was just wondering.”

“Yeah I do.” He leaned towards me. “You’re face is red, are you ok?”

“Uh y-yeah.” I answered, fidgeting with my long black hair. Damien gazed at me doubtfully but didn’t press the matter. “I thought a lot about what you said.” He nodded and leaned back against the padded wall. It was like he was guarding himself for rejection. Crawling up I sat beside him. “I put a lot of thought into it. And I know I care about you.” Shyly I took his hand in mine. “So I want to make it work too.”

He smiled at me, surprise in his eyes.

“Really?”

“Yes.”

I leaned my head on his shoulder. He pressed his cheek to the top of my head.

“Are you tired, Princess?”

“Damien, if we are going to do this, you need to stop calling me Princess. You’re going to be my…ya know…” I couldn’t bring myself to say ‘husband’. I knew that Damien understood my hesitation.

“I know; I should start changing that.” As my eye lids began to weigh more and more, I felt him rub my back. “You need to go to sleep Princ—Maya.”

I smiled.

“I’m not,” I yawned, “tired.”

“Mmhmm.” He teased. As I began to doze off, I felt him move my tired body so I was lying down. “Go to sleep Maya.” I started to sit up, but he rested his hand on my shoulder. “No, no Maya. You sleep now.”

“But—”

“—No buts’. You’re going to sleep.”

“I should sleep in my room.” I mumbled quietly. Exhaustion was coming after me and beating me down with a stick.

I needed rest.

“You’ll be fine here. I’ll sleep on the top bunk, ok?” He said, rubbing my arm. I shrugged. Tucking the covers around me, Damien told me goodnight and climbed onto the other bunk.

 ****************** 

Knock, knock, knock. I waited for him to answer.

“It’s open.” He called. Opening the door I saw Drake sitting at the table just like before. He looked up and smiled. “Hey Maya! Come on in!” I retuned a friendly smile and did so. Taking a seat in a chair across from him I made myself comfortable. “Something you need kid?” He teased. I smiled, but it started to droop. “Maya?” He frowned. “Something wrong?”

“Um…I don’t know how to say this…”

“Well just come out and say it.” He encouraged.

I took a deep breath.

“I want to leave…to go find my dad.”