Chapter 5

Drake stared at me, jaw hanging.

“Y-You…what?” He stammered.

“I want to go find my dad.” I repeated, more sternly this time.

 He didn’t seem to know what to say. Sitting back and combing his fingers through his hair, he took a deep breath.

“Does Damien know?”

“Not yet.” I admitted.

“Maya…I…I really don’t think you should do this…”

“Drake, I’ve lived with you my whole life. You’ve influenced me and raised me since I was six years old. I know I don’t have a lot to go on for leads or even clues. But…I have to do this. I need to find him. And…I know I can do it.” He looked at me sadly as I spoke. “I’m planning to tell Damien today. And no matter what you say, I’m still going.”

He smiled slightly.

“You are just like your father.”

But his weak expression dropped as he continued to talk. “I know you’re going to leave anyway. That’s why I’m not against it…completely.” He stood up and came towards me. I stood as well. I could see sadness in his eyes and hint of tears as he talked. “I’ve never had children. I do love you like you were my own daughter, and I don’t want you to go.”

My head nodded.

“I know…but I have to.”

He looked down at me unhappily and returned a nod. My voice was quiet and soft. “I need to go tell Damien.”

Drake didn’t respond to this, so with nothing else to say I left.

***************** 

“You’re…what?

Damien looked at me with shock. I bit my bottom lip and put a strand of hair behind my ear.

“I’m leaving.”

“But…we just…”

His pained expression killed me. We were sitting in the back of the semi truck. The rain had finally ceased, but the sky was still gloomy. “I’m coming with you.”

“No, Damien.”

“Maya, I’m coming!”

“No, Damien,” I reached out and took his hands in mine, “I don’t want you to come.”

He shook his head.

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want anything to happen to you!” I protested.

The werewolf was quiet. I exhaled loudly. “I knew you were going to fight me on this.” I grumbled.

“Of course I am!” He responded, “I don’t want you to go!”

“Well Drake isn’t going to stop me and neither will you.”

Standing up abruptly, I smacked my head on the bottom of the top bunk. “Ow!” I growled.

“See Maya? Without me you’ll get hurt!”

Baring my teeth at him a little, I stormed out of the cabin. Climbing out of the truck I saw what looked like all of our pack standing before me. All in human form and with saddened faces. Drake stood at the front of the group and beside him was Floyd.

“Maya,” Drake started, “I want you to take Floyd with you.”

As I opened my mouth to argue, Drake raised his hand to silence me. “He’s strong and very powerful. You know vampires are very dangerous. Floyd will keep you out of harms way and help you to go find your dad.”

 I looked over the burly man standing next to my guardian. He was always so clean cut and shaved perfectly. Not something you’d expect from a hair-infested werewolf. Floyd stared back at me quietly. He wore a black t-shirt and jeans. His arms were crossed and you could see the tattoos he had of swords and vampires being staked. But some of his tattoos were destroyed from scars of vampire fights. Although I wanted this to be a self-driven mission, I knew it’d be dumb not to take him with. Nodding into agreement, I showed my acceptance that he could come.    

No one said any more. Some of the other lycans awkwardly shifted their weight from one foot to the other. With nothing more to say, I turned to walk away.

“Come on Floyd, let’s get going.” He began to follow me.

But standing in the way of the exit was Damien.

“Maya, please don’t leave.” He begged.

“Damien…”

“Please?”

I stepped forward and grabbed his upper arms.

“I’m coming back! I am. I just need to find out…” I sighed, “I need to know what happened to my dad.”

He stood there with a sickly silence.

“You really need to do this, don’t you?”

“Yes, and it’ll make it so much easier if you understand.”

He nodded.

“Alright…I don’t like it, but I’m only letting you get through if you promise you’re coming back.” He said seriously.

I smiled.

“I promise.

Giving him a quick hug to seal the deal, Floyd and I left. We walked down the long driveway, heading to the outskirts of the city. This trip was going to be on foot and it’d be just stupid to change into our other forms in front of so many people. Moving a long the side walk we continued – heading through the rougher part of the city. Not that this fazed us. Traveling through the gang-banger’s territory people yelled and hissed at us to leave. I glanced at Floyd who looked neither annoyed nor amused. This part of the city always looked like a dump.

There were homeless people everywhere, trash scattered around, bottles of alcohol broken and emptied. It was such a sad sight. In the pack there was always a werewolf ranting about how humans were filthy and caused destruction. He and I would always fight over this. It offended me because my mother was a human half-breed. Although he had once been human too, he didn’t care. He was one of them once. “Hypocrite.” I grumbled. Floyd looked at me with a confused expression. I held up my hand and moved it as if to wave off what I had said.

To my relief I saw the beginning of the forest. Quickening our pace, Floyd and I glanced at one another. He flashed me a sharp toothed grin and jumped an immortal twenty feet into the woods, changing into beast in mid air. He was impressive, I had to admit that. Leaping up after him I did the same. Course mine wasn’t as graceful of a transformation. His was easy and fluid, while mine was more difficult and inexperienced. He stood on all fours; watching me trot up, embarrassed. It was clear I spend too much time in vampire form and needed more lycan practice.

His ears twitched and his tail swung back and forth. Making the first move, I took off into a full run. Floyd was close by. I felt the adrenaline rush through every vein in my body. Every muscle moved smoothly with my pace. Oh how this was so amazing! That was one thing I loved about transforming into a werewolf – the power surges that came with it.

 ****************

We sat in a thickly wooded area. Floyd was half asleep half awake. He reclined on some smooth rocks. I sat on top of a large boulder looking at him. It had been five days and he hadn’t spoken a word.

“Ok Floyd,” I started, “If you don’t start talking I’m going to go insane!” He opened one eye and raised an eyebrow. After peeking at me for a second he closed his eyes and smiled. “Do you love to bug me?” I demanded. His smile widened. “I’ll take that as a yes.” He exhaled loudly and started to doze off. “Fine then!” Jumping down I looked at Floyd who was indeed asleep.

Boring.

I wanted to explore! Adventure! This was a new area for me. Looking him over to see he was deeply out of it. “I’ll be back before he even notices.”