Chapter 2

Maya!” A deep voice rumbled, making the walls tremble in fear. A groan escaped my mouth.

What now? My mind muttered.

Closing my book I sat up on my bed. A hard, repetitive knock hit the door. Wrapping a blanket around my shoulders and crossing my legs in a pretzel form I replied. 

“It’s open.”

With no hesitation it swung wide. Hand gripped tightly on the knob and a hard expression on his face, Drake stood in the doorway.

Crap.

He didn’t say anything; but simply stepped in and shut the door behind him. As my stomach began to knot, I twisted a piece of the fabric wrapped around my shoulders.

My guardian walked over to my desk, examining the papers on it. I watched as he moved to my dresser, looking over the music box resting on top. His aloofness bothered me greatly. Normally when Drake was angry with me he’d yell and freak out to no end. But he wasn’t this time. With a final sigh, he sat down in a chair beside my bed. The knot inside me tightened as he continued his silence.

“It seems to me,” He started, “You’ve been having trouble.”

Drake gazed at me intently, waiting for an answer. My mouth felt dry as I stammered.

“T-Trouble?”

He nodded.

“Damien told me about last night. You ran off into the dark and left him there worrying sick about you.” My guardian shook his head and ran his fingers through his thick black hair. It seemed he was fighting himself to not shout. “I sent him with you for protection, and you pulled this stunt?” My eyes wandered down to my fingers. The fabric looked like it was ready to tear. I hadn’t even realized that I had the blanket woven in my fingers so tight. “You showed a major lack of responsibility. I’m honestly thinking of taking away your rights to go out at all!”

My jaw tightened. Take away my ability to leave? This wasn’t fair!

He continued to lecture me.

“Maya you know that we keep you here for safety! If the vampires found out—”

“–They won’t find out!” I intervened.

Drake shook his head.

“You don’t know that.”

My expression turned into a hard glare as I felt the fabric give away under my grip. Rip. That’s how I felt – trapped and being pulled to pieces by Drake’s intense hold on my life.

“I hate being kept in this hell-hole.”

“We’ve all made changes for you,” He argued, “This old warehouse was also made into a home for you. This bedroom? It wasn’t here before. The others built this just for you!”

I gritted my teeth.

“And why should we hide here? We’re werewolves! Why should arrogant vampires get to control how we live and how we die?”

“It’s the way the world is. They have more power than us.”

“But I’m different! I could help change that! I could—”

“–you couldn’t do anything!” He hissed, “There’s nothing you can do!”

Rage filled every nerve in my body.

“You do you think you are?!” I screamed. “Telling me what to do and keeping me away from the outside world! You’re not my dad!” Throwing the blanket at him angrily, I dashed out of the room. I went as fast as my legs could carry me for a few seconds until — thump! Staggering back and shaking with hurt, my eyes looked up at Floyd. The beastly creature looked down upon my trembling body. He truly was a magnificent sight in his wolf form. Like my father he, too, could walk on his hind legs. Most werewolves could if they were fortunate. Standing at a height of seven feet tall, the dark-haired beast leaned his large head down.