Chapter 3

I clenched and unclenched my pale fist. My dark hair fell awkwardly into my face, but I paid no attention. The eyes in my head stared at the steel door before me. Nervously, I lifted my hand to it. Knock, knock, knock. No answer. Knock, knock, knock. Still no answer. Slowly I began to back away. But a familiar voice responded.

“Come in.”

Pushing the door open, I saw Drake sitting at a table, looking at papers quietly. Maps, possibly?

It seemed he didn’t notice me.

“Uh…Drake?”

He glanced up at me.

“Maya?” His eyebrows rose in surprise and he set the papers down. “It’s awfully late. You should be getting your sleep.”

“I wanted to talk to you.”

Drake’s fingers interlaced as he set his hands on the table.

“About?”

A sigh escaped me, why was I so nervous about this?

“I’m…I’m sorry…for running off like I did. And for yelling at you. I was out of line.” Drake didn’t respond right away. After leaning back in his chair and running his fingers through his hair, he sighed.

“Maya…I realize you’re having difficulties. Being a teenager is hard enough. And especially with what you are. And…” His eyes drifted down to the table sadly. “I know I’m not your dad. I could never replace him nor do I want to. He was a great man, no one could ever substitute for him.”

Guilt flooded my mind. I hadn’t realized that I had made him feel as bad as I did. But a small smile cracked on his face. “He would be so proud of you. Truly.”

I licked my dry lips.

“How?”

The smile he had grew.

“You’re so strong willed; even if it can be a pain at times. You’re intelligent, powerful and you have the guts to lead this pack.” He looked back up at me. “I’ve been with you and your dad since the day you were born. It’s no surprise you grew up the way you did. You were and still are very special Maya.”

“Because of how I look?”

A grin sprouted on his face. I watched as he stood and approached me. Kissing the top of my head, he spoke.

“Someday you’ll understand.”

Walking past me he began to exit the room.

“Drake.”

He paused at the sound of my voice.

“Do you think my father is alive?” I asked.

My guardian was silent. He looked at me over his shoulder.

“I hope so Maya, I sure hope so.”

 ******************

Lying in bed; I stared up at my ceiling. The room was dark except for the lavender lamp on my dresser illuminating the room dully. I just couldn’t seem to sleep. I’d tried for hours but couldn’t do it. To pass the time I thought about my dad’s story from when he met my mom. I thought of the way he’d smile when he told it.

When we saw that she was a survivor to the experiments, everyone wanted to see what she could do. Almost everyone in the pack harassed her constantly. One day she came to me, in the garden, tears running down her cheeks. She cried and begged for me to let her leave. Your mother told me how alone she was and afraid of the creatures around us. She did not want to be an immortal like you and me. She was afraid.