Chapter 22: Mixed Signals

;)

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you guys got the notification for this chapter. For some reason, my chapter notifications on my stories are either delayed or don't happen at all, lol. *SHRUG*

* * *

Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: katrocks247

JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP FOR THE DEATH SERIES! https://www.facebook.com/groups/308207282529485/1601560399860827/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1485907838930001

* * *

            "You were never going to tell me," Death answered for himself. Maybe it was just my imagination, but he was growing larger and larger, as if he were feeding from the shadows of the room. "You were never going to tell me that you spoke to Gabriel. That you knew of Gabriel."

My stomach did one of those fluttering things where I knew I was in deep shit. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but it'd been lost in the tornado of events that had been thrown at us the last couple of weeks. He was talking about my encounter with the angel who declared himself as Gabriel, the Messenger from God. I'd seen him outside of Ace's club, and then I'd somehow taken Gabriel to Limbo, the realm of lost souls and memories. I'd seen heaven through Death's eyes. I'd seen Gabriel with his bloody hands gripping Death. Gabriel looked identical to Devin and urged me to save the balance between good and evil. In your hour of need, turn to the light and speak my name, he told me. He'd told me to be silent about our encounter, too.

"My pendant showed you this," I assumed, instead of denying the whole ordeal.

"It showed me flashes of you and him," Death admitted through tight fangs. "That thing inside your pendant. But there were no words." His eyes were mere slits. "Fill in the blanks for me."

I couldn't lie to him again. Not when he was like this. Not when my skin was still wet with sweat like I were coming down from a fever. All because of that weird dream-adventure into another realm we'd taken.

Death's features had shifted into something sharper, alien. I was too terrified to move. I wouldn't show him how scared I was.

"I didn't have a choice but to keep my encounter with him from you," I said, which would soon be repeated be for the umpteenth time. It was the only answer I could think of. The one thing I continued to keep from Death was my glimpses into his past. The more of his soul he gave me, the more frequent the memories came. I was certain these secrets would all come tumbling out soon. "You and I, we haven't been exactly on good terms. I can only trust you as far as I can throw you."

A muscle ticked in his jaw. "And I don't trust you as far as I can throw you."

"Are we just going to casually ignore the fact," I said, in a desperate attempt to change the subject, "that we were just in another realm that showed us where the portal is?"

"What message did he tell you?" he exploded, ignoring the rest. He decided that Gabriel was more important than the portal and I wondered why. There was an emptiness to his gaze I couldn't recognize, too. Whatever he'd seen had convinced him that I was not worthy of anything less than a vacant stare. He took a single step towards me. I was basically cornered. "How many times have you met with him? Since when are you BFF's with an arch angel?"

"I talked to him once. I talked to him for five seconds, too!"

Death didn't look like he believed me in the slightest. "Tell me what you spoke about," he commanded.