Chapter 36: The Greenhouse

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! GRAB YOUR POPCORN/SNACK AND HOLD ONTO YOUR SEATS, BETCHES!!!!!!

AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER, CHECK OUT SOME OF THE TOP FAN ART AND COSTUMES I SELECTED FROM MY RECENT DEATH IS MY BFF CONTEST!! WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON!! COMMENT ON WHICHEVER ONES YOU LIKE THE MOST AND WHY TO HELP ME CHOOSE! ;) 

BEST COMMENTS ON THIS CHAPTER WILL BE FEATURED ON MY INSTAGRAM STORY!!! (No pressure lmfao.)

Don't forget to vote and leave feedback if you want more!!!

So, obviously this version on Wattpad is styled like an on-going diary, so there are going to be plot issues and whatnot because this is me getting my ideas out. Bear with me as I struggle immensely to salvage whatever plot I can get out of this version on Wattpad. LOL. 

Twitter/Instagram: katrocks247

Past heavy glass doors reared a greenhouse straight out of a mystical garden magazine. My mouth went slack. Hundreds of feet above us, forty massive beams came together across a glass panel ceiling to create an intricate design. Rays of light slanted through the glass, twinkling off the reflection of a magnificent pond with Lilly pads, water hyacinths, and beautiful sweet flag foliage along the rim of the water garden. A fountain and scattered bubblers added a tranquil backdrop to the greenhouse.

"Beautiful," I said breathlessly.

The heat and humidity in the air was noticeably different than the library, so I rolled up my sleeves. We followed Ace down a path, Death prowling behind me. I felt like I'd entered a fairytale. Tropical leafy plants and trees stretched up as far as I could see, rooted around potted herbs like peppermint, witch hazel, sage, and lavender. Strange flowers scattered in a rainbow of rarity. Petals with riveting colors of blues, purples, yellows, reds, oranges, gleaming under the light as if they were delicately painted to glitter.

Some of the plants swayed toward us as if they were alive. I reached toward one to trace the moisture of a leaf, but Death stopped me as his firm hand enclosed around my wrist.

"Do be careful where you step, and do not touch anything," Ace cautioned, continuing to walk up ahead. "My garden is enchanted. And some of these plants are carnivores, I'm afraid."

I gulped. "Like that piranha plant from Super Mario?"

"Precisely," said Ace, glancing over his shoulder at us before disappearing behind foliage. "Except my carnivorous plants are handsomer and expel a bubblegum fragrance at blooming."

"Bubblegum. That's very specific."

"It's from their innate ability to attract small children, ma chére," he replied. "Since they're smaller and easier for the plant to digest."

"Oh. Makes sense..." I pressed my hands deep into my pockets and looked back over my shoulder at Death. I'd caught a scene of him facing off with a prickly plant, which snapped at him as if it was alive and latched onto his cloak. With an irritated growl, Death loomed over the plant, opened his jaws, and roared thunderously with a sound unlike any creature––bared fangs and all. The plant released a high-pitch scream and shrunk down to an itsy-bitsy trembling flower.

Death turned to me, his fangs retracting somewhat. "What?"

"Seriously?"

"It started it." He drew up his hood and strode casually in my direction, whistling.

We approached a Victoria-style cast-iron, wrought-iron, and tubular steel gazebo with thorny vines and roses tangled in the framework like a fairy's home. The perimeter of the inside had ancient iron furniture with cushions, and at the center of the gazebo sat a small table for two.