Chapter 40: Match Fixing

Imagine: We're at the tip of the rollercoaster, and it only goes downhill from here... ;)

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, and leave feedback!!! Thank you!!!! xxx

* * *

 "So, this is what you guys do the night before a mission?" I asked, as Leo returned to hand me a cup of peach iced tea. In front of us, the twinkling skyline of New York City winked back at us like jewels in the night. "Party on a rooftop?"

And not just any rooftop. Death's rooftop. Which made me think of the last time I was here, when Death had showed me his wings. Now I was nervous if the big, pissy Grim Cat would show his face and talk to me at some point.

Leo grinned, leaning his side against the wall beside me. "Well, us Reapers have been training our whole existences, so we definitely don't need to spar anymore today. Plus, none of us get hangovers, and if we do sleep it's usually during the day, while it's light out." He tilted his head down and rubbed his forehead. "My sleep schedule is so fucked up these days."

"Sounds like you're turning into a vampire."

"Except I don't sleep in a coffin or a cold slab in a crypt," Leo emphasized with a finger point. Leo's personality was refreshing after a day of stress and wizardly pep talks. Once you got to know him, he was very funny and easy to talk to. "I like a good ol' memory foam mattress, myself."

I smiled. "Why? Because it reminds you of the clouds in Heaven?"

Leo fake laughed. "Wow, I get it. Because I'm a creature of the night, damned to Hell as Death's eternal servant? That's messed up, Faith."

I managed to laugh a little louder than I intended to, drawing the attention of Reaper Denim, who eyed us inquisitively around a voluptuous dark-skinned woman. "You know, I never did get the full back story on all you Reapers," I told Leo. "Eternal servants of Death? Sounds like you guys were bad eggs."

Leo sipped his drink. "Speaking of vampires," he said with a grin, clearly changing the subject. "I heard you cuffed a Master Vampire at the warlocks. I'm very impressed."

"Thank you. I was a Dominatrix in my previous life."

He whistled. "That was honestly the last thing I ever expected to ever come out of your mouth. Especially after the way you eyed that whip Romeo showed you this morning. I thought your eyes would pop out of your skull."

"Just because I'm a virgin, doesn't mean I'm clueless about everything sex." I'd read enough books to know a thing or two. If it was possible to lose your v-card via adult romance novels, then I was a literary prostitute. Whoops.

Leo raised his palm, amusement setting a twinkle in his dark amber eyes. "Hey, never said you were clueless." He turned toward the skyline, folding his arms in front of himself on the wall. "Dunkin had what was coming. I've had to converse that bastard a few times at social events, and each time was just as unpleasant as the last. Gives his species a bad name. Pompous prick." Leo took a bigger gulp of his drink. "Listen, this very off topic, and it might come off the wrong way..."

I rolled my eyes. "This ought to be good."

Leo scratched his head with a bashful grin. "I wanted to ask you something. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I didn't think it was appropriate..." He stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Do you have a date to the Solice event?"

I blinked rapidly. "A date? Me?"

"Yes, to the Winter Solace." Leo opened his mouth and then closed it. "It's this event Lucifer hosts every year. It's happening in a few weeks. I thought, maybe, you would have known about it already, but I figured I'd ask."