Chapter 51: Breaking Faith

*Rises from bed, cape outstretching like wings, and levitates to laptop to upload a saucy chapter*

HEY, HI, HELLO!!!! Chhhhhhyeah dudes, I'm back. Imma let you READ before I drop any big notes, but feel free to read my message at the end for a lil CHECK IN of my #life. 

xoxo Gossip Death

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!!!! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO VOTE AND LEAVE LOTS OF COMMENTS/SHARE THIS WITH BUDDIES AND ON SOCIAL MEDIA TO SUPPORT MY WRITING! I'LL POST MY FAV COMMENTS TO MY INSTAGRAM STORY!! HEHE. <3333

Katrocks247 for Twitter and Instagram!

We edged down another long passageway and reached a T shaped hallway where we had to decide left or right, when Ace had stopped for a break and leaned against the wall to perceptively give his weaker leg for a break.

"It would be much easier to navigate through this mausoleum if I wasn't practically crippled," Ace grumbled. The sweat on his brow and the paleness to his complexion concerned me enough, and now the fact that walking moving was bringing him serious pain made me doubt his involvement.

"Maybe you should stay here and rest," I decided, even though the thought of being left alone in this place was the most frightening thing I could imagine at the moment. "Let me go ahead."

"I'm fine, ma chère." But the tension in Ace's face gave away the real answer as he pushed off the wall and made a right down the T shaped hallway. "My leg is only a psychosomatic injury," he tossed over his shoulder. "Conséquence de La Magie. Black magic, to be more specific."

"So, technically your leg is fine?"

"Oui. Being the unlucky fils de pute that I am, I am gifted with a lingering consequence. I've been trying to reverse almost all of my life. I believe it was the result of a difficult spell of which I can't seem to remember. Some spells are more destructive than others."

"What about the spell that Ahrimad wants from the Book of the Dead? What kind of consequences would they have?"

"Sometimes ignorance is bliss, ma chère."

Before I could ask more about this curious subject, there was a wave of something in the air that rippled through me like a chill.

"Did you feel that?" Ace asked, turning to face me.

"Yes. I felt that same feeling earlier, when we first entered the mausoleum."

"This is good. This means the portal is still open."

The trepidation of getting to that portal and finding Death made me sick to my stomach with worry. I hoped that Death was alright.

Ace reached out to grab my hand. "Everything is going to be okay," he said firmly, smoothing down the back of my braid with his hand. "Trust in yourself. You are a strong and capable young woman. You have to keep it together. For all of us."

A trapdoor beneath us blew open before either of us could decide, and we fell down into a chamber and hit slope that slid us down into the dusty depths of an even lower floor. We were violently pitched across the floor. Ace processed what was happening faster and grabbed onto my bicep. He rose with me quickly as a group of monstrous creatures encircled us. Creatures taller than life with burly frames, massive horns, giant fangs, bat-like wings with translucent black membranes. They reminded me somewhat of Death's true form, except these creatures were hideous. Wide, meaty skulls, oozing burn blisters in their complexions, ripples of hard, hairless, wrinkly skin, and black eyes that flickered at the centers with fire.