Chapter 24: Secrets and Lies

(There will be a double chapter posted with 24 & 25. Make sure you're on the right chapter!)

HEY REAPERS! 

Quick note (VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!)

So obviously with this rewrite there's been a lot of huge changes. My main focus was Death and Faith's relationship and so other relationships around them naturally aren't as strong as they should be. One of those relationships is Faith with her Aunt Sarah. I want you to imagine that they have a much stronger relationship, especially before Death takes Faith away into his world. I really have to establish this when I edit these books, but for now, pretty please use your imagination & don't kill me!!!

As is, I tried to find a middle ground where her relation is somewhat passive because yes, they don't have a relationship in this book at all, but that was a huge mistake on my part because of the way the book played out in my head. LMFAO. Writing books is so hardz manz.

Love you all!!!!
Katkatkatkatkatkatkatkatkatkatkat

Death was wrong. I didn't cry. I didn't feel anything, actually. Maybe I was too shocked to feel anything. Deep down, I knew I would get my aunt back because I would do everything in my power to. I wouldn't think about the what ifs. Not yet.

But then I became angry. It hit me like a blow to the stomach and it was hard to breathe. Since meeting Death, my life had become one trying event after another. Not only were the people I loved becoming a distant memory in some past past life I had, but also they were getting dragged into the hurricane that I was at the eye of.

And I couldn't ignore the pulse of electricity in me veins. It was so powerful that I was afflicted with a migraine and debilitating nausea that left me hunch over on Devin Star's couch. As soon as I'd stepped into this place, Devin's office, I'd felt sick to my stomach.

Now I was a vicious swirl of fury and revulsion. I was a live wire and there was no outlet to release the energy. It was as if there was a pressure building inside of me and because all I could do was either suppress it or lose control of it entirely, it was eating away at my insides.

No, not eating away.... Pressing against my insides. Something was beckoning the power to come out. Something literal. There was an enchantment to the air, invisible tendrils brushing my skin. I looked up, and my eyes drew to the wall next to Devin's electric fireplace. There was nothing special about that section of the wall. No cabinet, no door, but something was there. Faith... My attention sharpened, and my migraine worsened. I blinked past tears I fought the urge to get up and satisfy whatever urge I had to meet there. Frowning, I tore my gaze away from it, leaned forward, and braced my head in my hands. I suffered in silence as the men around me argued loudly.

"I want you ready by the end of this week."

It was Lucifer's voice. I lifted my heavy head and looked towards the group of men ahead of me. Death, Devin, and Leo were all in different positions around a long glass meeting table. Devin's office was more like an open floor apartment, with dark red and grey hues and dim lighting. Devin sat in a red and gold throne-looking chair at the head of the meeting table. His expression was muted and I could see his fingers were curled tightly around the ends of his armrests. Leo had his arms folded, standing on the opposite side of the table as Lucifer. Death stood at the middle, and was the furthest from the table, peering out one of the massive windows and into the night.