chapter nine

Harry Styles

The only good thing about today is that I didn't have to wake up at 5:30 am to get ready for school. Usually, I wake up, get ready, make breakfast and wait for Carmen to pick me up at 6:30 so we can drive to school. I'm also happy I won't have to be in the car with Carmen because there is still a bit of tension between us and I really don't feel like dealing with it today.

I look over at my alarm clock and see that it is 7:26 am. I know I have to get up soon because my mom wants to leave the house at 8:30 to catch the train. That's something I'm really not looking forward to.

I climb out of bed, walking over to my adjacent bathroom and looking in the mirror. I didn't shower yesterday, so my hair is really greasy and gross. I decide to take a shower and wash my hair, making sure to use my voluminous conditioner afterwards to bring some life back to it.

Once I get out, I blow dry my hair and style it so it looks decent before walking into my room and searching through my clothes for something to wear. I decide on a pair of black skinny jeans that cling to my thighs, similar to the ones that I wore to the party except without the holes all down the front. Next, I look around for a top and find a gray turtle neck sweater, deciding it's appropriate.

I slip on a pair of long white socks before walking downstairs, the smell of waffles and bacon hitting my nose. I walk into the kitchen and see my mom setting the table. I look outside through the back door and see it looks kind of murky outside.

"Looks good." I murmur, sitting down at my usual seat with my back facing the screen door.

"Good. Eat up because we won't be getting lunch until 1 pm today." My mom explains and I nod, taking a bite of the bacon on my plate.

"You should go visit Gemma today after we get back. She's been asking for you." My mom whispers and I glance up at her, noticing the fine lines around her mouth and eyes. She's aged so much since Gemma was hospitalized, I barely recognize her sometimes.

"You should go. You haven't visited her in a long time." I say slowly, taking a bite of my waffle.

"I... you know I can't." She says firmly. "Now go put your shoes and get your jacket. You can drive us to the train station if you feel comfortable."

I look up excitedly. "Really? Yay." I shove some more bacon into my mouth before standing up and running into the foyer. My mom rarely ever lets me drive her car, as I only have my permit. I should have my license by now, but I failed my first test because I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Ever since then, my mother has refused to let me drive her car and I can only drive with Robin.

Once I reach the coat rack, I grab my green parka and pull it on before grabbing my black Hunter Wellington boots and slipping my feet into them. I loved wearing them because they were just so aesthetically pleasing.

"I'll go start the car!" I called, only to be stopped by my mother's frantic yelling

"Don't you dare get in that car without me!" And come finish your breakfast!"

I sigh reluctantly before trudging back into the kitchen. It was going to be a long day.

~

"I hope you know I'm driving home." My mother says from beside me and I roll my eyes.

"I was driving fine. You're just crazy." I huff, looking down at the map in my hands.

It's 10:06, the tour starts at 10:30 and we have absolutely no idea where we are on campus.

"Wait! There's the statue, so that means that... this building over here is the conference hall." I say before motioning for my mom to follow me.

"Harry, are you sure? I don't know if I trust your directions." She whines but I just ignore her and keep on walking. If she doesn't trust me, she can just find it herself.

"That's it. Just follow me, Mom." I say quietly, making my way up the stairs and pushing open one of the doors.

Inside the building, there are a few tables set up and only a couple parent and child groups standing around.

I walk over to one of the tables, flashing my dimples at the boy.

"My name is Harry Styles. I'm here for the freshman tour." I say and watch as the guy nods before handing me a plastic bag.

"There's some brochures in there and a few nicknacks. Enjoy your tour." He says and I nod before walking back over to where my mom is standing on her phone.

"We have ten minutes until the tour." She says before looking around, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at other people. I swat her arm.

"Stop looking at people. You're gonna make me look bad." I whine. "Come on. Let's go sit over here." I say and lead her over to a row of benches. Some of them are occupied, but I find an empty bench and sit down. I hope the tour guide is nice. I've heard some stories about tour guides being really mean and not even telling people what the buildings are.

I decide to pull out my phone to distract myself by scrolling through Instagram, liking a few photos before my mom nudges my side.

"Harry, look." My mom whispers from beside me and I groan in annoyance. She's probably gonna point out someone's unmatched clothes or something like that.

"What?" I ask, turning to look up at her.

"That guy's pretty cute, don't you think?" She asks, raising her eyebrows at me.

"Who?" I ask exasperatedly, looking around the room before my eyes land on someone I didn't think I was ever going to see again.

Everything is so predictable but it's so cute I love it. I hope you guys liked it too.