chapter seventeen

Harry Styles

"I love this song." I smile, reaching over to turn up the volume so that Hotline Bling by Drake is blasting as high as it can go.

Nick laughs loudly, turning it down just a little which earns him a glare from me.

"Your obsession with Drake is weird." Nick just grins, shaking his head fondly.

Even if he says that, he still begins singing along to the words with me.

"'Cause ever since I left the city, you~" I sing, my dimples appearing and the window blowing through my hair. Just as the chorus begins, I feel my phone buzz and look down to see a text from my mom.

4:56 pm
From Mom: Hey, honey. I'm working a double shift tonight so I won't be home until tomorrow morning. If you need anything call me. If you don't want to be alone, you can stay over Carmen's house if you'd like. Love you. Stay safe. ❤️

I frown, sighing heavily before closing my phone and lowering the volume of the song. Of course, as soon as I start to feel a little better after what happened with Zayn, my mom has to go and ruin it.

Ugh. I don't even know why I'm so upset, it's not like I really see her during the week anyway. She works until 6:30 every night and when she comes up, she's in her office doing work until I go to sleep. I don't know when was the last time she cooked me dinner or even sat down to eat with me.

"What's the matter?" Nick asks, bringing me out of my fog.

I glance over at him and shake my head. "It's nothing. My mom is going to be working all night, so I have the house to myself." I explain calmly.

However, I instantly regret saying anything when I see the excited look on Nick's face.

"Oh," He murmurs quietly, biting his lip as he finally pulls into my drive way and parks the car. "D-Do you, uh... want me to stay with you for a while?" He asks hesitantly.

I swallow thickly, furrowing my brows. "Um, I don't really think-"

"Listen, I won't try anything. I just don't think it's a good idea for you to be home by yourself all night." Nick says, turning off his car and pulling his keys out of the ignition.

I can tell he's not really going to give me a choice, so I just decide to go along with it.

"Okay, fine." I say reluctantly, "But you can't stay over night. My mom would totally freak." I laugh as I get out of the car and sling my book bag over my shoulder.

"Of course not." Nick laughs as well, getting out of the car and locking the doors. "I can only stay for a few hours anyway. I have a college visit tomorrow and I have to get up super early."

"Oh, what college?" I ask as I walk up the steps to my house and unlock the door. Nick follows me in and I close the door behind him.

"Kutztown. I'm not sure if I would like it there but I'm gonna check it out. I heard it's a nice campus." Nick says and my heart flutters slightly.

"I applied there too!" I smile, "I haven't gone to visit it yet, but I got accepted and everything." I say, setting my bag down on one of the chairs in the living room.

"Wow. Maybe we'll end up as roommates if we both go or something." Nick giggles, setting his bag down beside mine.

"You're house is really nice by the way." He adds.

"Thanks. Do you want anything to drink or eat? We have plenty." I offer, raising an eyebrow as I lead Nick into the kitchen.

"Sure. What do you have?"

~

"Oh my god!" I squeal as Nick sets down another pair of cards, winning the round for the sixth time in a row. "I cannot believe you won again!" I scoff, tossing my cards onto the table before crossing my arms and pushing my bottom lip out into a pout.

"Oh, don't pout. I'm just better at cards." Nick smirks, gathering all of the cards from the table before going to shuffle them again.

"No, I am not playing another round with you." I laugh, smiling to myself as I reach over and scoop up the last of the popcorn, shoveling it into my mouth.

For the past six hours, Nick and I have been playing games, eating snacks and watching movies. Right now, Moana is playing in the background while we were doing our own thing, sitting Indian style on the floor and playing cards on the coffee table.

My phone buzzes in my lap and I look down, seeing another text message from Zayn. I ignore it, just like all the others before it and turn my phone off.

"Aw, it's all gone." Nick whines, looking at the empty bowl.

"I can go refill it." I say, slowly standing up and stretching out my knees before grabbing the bowl.

"Um, actually..." Nick interrupts, glancing down at the expensive watch on his wrist. "It's getting late. I should probably head home." He says, standing up and brushing himself off.

I glance over at the clock on the wall and indeed, it is almost 11:30 already.

"Oh. It is late." I murmur quietly, biting down on my bottom lip anxiously as Nick walks over to the couch and picks up his bag.

"Do you want any help cleaning up?" Nick asks but I shake my head, waving my hand nonchalantly.

"No, thanks. I got it. It'll give me something to do, anyway." I smile, walking Nick to the door before pulling it open and stepping to the side.

"Well. I guess this is goodbye." Nick says quietly, stepping out onto the porch before turning around and looking at me curiously.

I wrap my arms around my midsection, shivering as a gust of wind blows past us and causes goosebumps to arise on my skin.

"Bye, Nick." I whisper, staring up at him and licking across my bottom. His eyes trace the movement and my cheeks flush as he slowly leans in, raising his hand to cup my cheek.

I hesitantly lean into the touch as he does the same, bringing his face mere centimeters from mine.

"N-Nick, I-" Before I can say anything, Nick's lips are connecting with mine in a brief, innocent kiss; absolutely nothing like the way Zayn kissed me earlier today. Nonetheless, it still makes my cheeks heat up.

My stomach flutters and my eyes slip shut just in time for Nick to pull away, dropping his hand and running his fingers through his thick hair.

"I-I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me—"

"It's okay" I interrupt, offering him a shy smile.

"Goodnight, Nick." I wave before turning around and stepping back inside, closing the door behind me.

I press my back against the door and close my eyes, taking a deep breath as my heart races. The kiss was nice and all, but it didn't make me feel the way Zayn's kiss did. It didn't give me the same rush that I felt when Zayn's hands squeezed my waist.

Woah. I need to calm down.

Sorry for all the Gryles lol I promise there is more Zarry in the future... 😛