chapter twenty nine

Harry Styles

"Are you okay?"

I refuse to uncover my eyes, not wanting to see the aftermath of Zayn's outrage. His voice didn't bring me any comfort either, so I flinched away when I felt his hands on my elbow.

I hear the commotion around me, whispering and even some laughing, but Zayn's cologne is so close, and the warmth that is practically radiating off of his body is intoxicating. I take a deep breath, feeling almost lightheaded by his scent as I finally lower my hands from my face.

I just barely catch a glimpse of the scene in front of me, of splattered blood and broken tiles, before Zayn's hand is covering my face once more.

"Don't look. I don't want you to faint again."

His other hand rests on the dip of my waist and I take a deep breath, reluctantly letting him guide me out of the bathroom. There's still voices floating around, some yelling for Zayn to come back and others asking if the guy—presumably the one with his head through the tiles—is okay.

It feels like hours before his hand finally leaves my face, and I blink a few times before turning my body so I can face the older boy properly.

He's still as pretty as usual, with those incredibly high cheekbones and full pink lips. There's no godly reason why someone should be that attractive. It's not fair in the slightest.

It does make me feel a little better about my crush, though. At least it was justified... right?

Right.

"Are you okay?" he asks in a small voice, his other hand trailing down my hip before finally dropping down to his side. It takes me a minute to gather my thoughts, still in shock from bumping into Zayn and the bloody mess he left behind in the bathroom.

"I am fine. That guy isn't. You know you're probably going to get kicked out for that, right?" I finally ask, taking a step away from him as I rubbed my hands over my face and smoothed out my ruffled clothing.

"Nah. I know the owner, he'll be on my side," Zayn explains with a shrug and... of course, that makes sense. No normal person would think it's okay to break a wall with someone's head unless they know they won't get in trouble for it.

"Right. Well, when he decides to press charges for breaking his face, I hope the jury's on your side too," I mumble, rolling my eyes and walking around him so I can find my way back to  my table.

Jesus. If Nick knew Zayn was here right now, he'd throw a fit.

Maybe it's best if we leave anyway. This really was turning out to be the worst date ever, just as I expected.

"Hey! Wait—"

He grabs my arm to stop me but the look on my face when I turn around to glare at him must be just as intense as the emotions I'm feeling on the inside because he immediately drops my arm when our eyes meet, his throat bobbing as he gulps.

"Don't touch me." I roll my eyes, beginning to walk away from him again.

"Harry-"

"No. Stop talking."

"But if you would just—"