Chapter Three

When our hands touch I could have sworn I felt two things. The first being the coldness of her hands that seemed to be so unreal and the second was the feeling of warmth inside me. It felt as if the touch of her hand was what I needed to be happy. I don't know how to explain it better.

But her hand was cold, too cold. A coldness that should not be present. I became slightly worried as the time progressed, wondering if she was OK.

We made it to the cafe in good time as she parked the car near the entrance. We both got out, leaving our bags in the car. We walked into the cafe with Ashlynn telling me to hurry up. It would seem that she really enjoys the cakes I make. I never knew someone took this much pleasure in them. I knew they sold relatively well but nothing to this extent.

"Mal." Came the familiar voice of Gareth, the owner of the cafe as well as the front desk attendant. He stood behind the register in a black collared polo shirt with the signature Cyrus Cafe coffee cup logo above his left peck. He looked younger than his forty odd years, yet the gray had already begun to set in his brunette hair. He also has adorned a well trimmed full beard for the past few years which too began to sport some gray. "Who is this?" Referring to Ashlynn who was pushing me forward.

"Gareth, meet Ashlynn, Ashlynn meet Gareth. The owner of this cafe." I told her as she continued to push me towards the staff only door to the left of the counter.

"No talking. More cake." She said just before she stopped pushing me and headed to the main counter. "Hi Gareth." She said offering her hand. I pushed through the doors and quickly made my way over to the lockers to get dressed.

After half an hour I returned, in my chef whites that Gareth loved to make us wear. In my right hand I carried a small caramel cake slice with white chocolate icing. It is something I was trying to get Gareth to put on the menu and I hoped that Ashlynn's review would help.

"Finally." She almost shouted as she sat near the corner of the cafe. The seat next to the window and the wall behind her. The smile on her face told me she was really looking forward to this. I looked at her table and noticed two plates that held remnants of the chocolate cake and I soon began to wonder how she ate this much and looked as perfect as she did. "Give me." She stretched her arms out.

I stood still watching her with the plate still in my hands. I raised my eyebrows gesturing to her that I was waiting for something.

"What?" She said softly, a little shocked. "Why?" She asked with a worried expression.

I stayed still with a smirk on my face as she reached for the plate. I still wanted her to ask nicely for it and to be honest, it was fun to see her squirm trying to figure out what is needed.

"Why?" She said again before pulling out the most perfect puppy dog eyes I have ever seen, in real life as well as in movies. "Please can I have it."

I handed her the plate chuckling softly. "Now, was that so hard?"

"You're mean." She said as she grabbed her fork and quickly took a bite. A soft moan escaped her lips and instantly I was jealous of the cake. Why the hell am I jealous over a baked good? I am in serious need of psychological help.

"Enjoy." I told her as I began to make my way back into the kitchen only to be stopped by Gareth with a smirk in his face.

"How did you manage to catch that." He said as he leaned on the counter glancing between Ashlynn and myself. I could see his thoughts running wild just by the smirk on his face.

"I didn't." I told him and noticed the slightly confused look on his face. "She just moved here and already she is a fan of the baked goods. She even likes the caramel cake that you still have not put on the menu." I said with a soft chuckle and a smirk.