Chapter Nine

The kiss broke after what seemed to be a lifetime. I don't how, but this kiss felt more amazing than anything before in my life. As the kiss broke, I opened my eyes and stared into hers. I felt control return to my body. Just what happened to me?

"Wow." She said once more as I brushed my right hand across her left cheek. Suddenly the door to her room burst open. I was thrown off of her as my back crashed into the couch to the right, as the impact caused both it and me to roll into the wall.

"What the hell?" I heard Ashlynn say with a frantic voice.

"What are you doing, Ashlynn?" I heard a familiar voice that I couldn't place.

"Aleksander, you can't just come into my room and throw my Beloved off of me!" She shouted as I tried to regain my composure. My entire body flushed with pain as I twitched underneath the couch.

"I can and will do anything in according to the orders that I have received." Aleksander said with venom lacing his voice.

"What orders?" Ashlynn shouted back as she threw the couch off of me. I heard a loud gasp following by heavy breathing. "Malachi, please stay with me!" Once more her voice frantic. Why is she acting like this? "Please stay with me!" She quickly punctured her wrist once more and brought it to my lips.

Almost instantly I felt as if I could see through her eyes. I saw my crumpled body lying against the wall with a piece of wood from the broken couch sticking through my chest. Blood pooled around my chest where the small wooden stake had punctured my left lung. Odd, I didn't feel anything. I didn't even feel as if I was dying. I just felt cold and disorientated.

I watched as she pulled the stake from my chest as her left wrist still poured her blood down my throat. I watched as the wound on my chest began to slowly close. My vision returned to my own as I glanced up towards a frantic Ashlynn. I could see her face fill with relief as my wound healed.

"Ashlynn. It is time for you to go home." Aleksander said behind her as he towered over us. "Your fun with the human is at an end."

"Human or not, he is my Beloved." Ashlynn said as she cast an evil glance over her shoulder to Aleksander. "He means more to me that father's orders."

"You better not let him hear you say that. You know how they feel about humans." He replied as he began pacing around the room.

"It doesn't matter." Ashlynn shot back as my face regained its colour and the wound fully closed. "He means more to me than anything else." She added as she brought both her hands to my face and cupped my cheeks. I could see the relief clearly evident within her smiling face.

"This won't end well." Aleksander said with a chuckle. "The enforcers will be sent after soon enough. You are running out of time to make this right." He added as his face turned serious. "It's better to come home by your own free will than to be brought back by other means."

"Please leave, Aleksander." Ashlynn said as venom began to leak into her voice. "You are no longer welcome here."

"Heed my warning, Ashlynn." He added as he turned to leave. "You know what the enforcers will do to him when they find you."

"I will protect him." She said as she helped me to a standing position. It was odd. I was not feeling the rush of power like I did before, but rather I felt tired. Drained. Like all the energy I had previously was fully gone from my body.

"Who are the enforcers?" I asked Ashlynn as she helped me to the bed. laying me down softly.

"They are the ones that my father usually sends after his targets." She added as she brought the thick duvet over my chest. I closed my eyes, relishing in the warmth. "And they have never failed."