Chapter Twenty One

Ashlynn handed Haylie's unconscious body to Gretta who quickly appeared by her side. She ensured that the unconscious girl was safe before she turned towards the hallway in order to make her way to Mal. However, it didn't go as she planned.

A tight grasp wrapped itself around her right arm stopping her in her tracks. She turned to her right and found a very angry looking Lucas. She could see the fire of his anger within his dark eyes.

"Where do you think you are going?" He let out trying to control his anger. Which Ashlynn found was almost on par with Mal's. The anger she saw within her Beloved a few months ago made a permanent mark within her mind. To think that someone else could rival it, was very worrisome.

"I need to go to him." She told him honestly. She felt her own anger rising but it could not compare with Lucas.

"No, your not." He said as he shoved her behind him towards her father. He turned to look at her father and as their gazes locked, he spoke. "Keep her away. I will deal with this little hiccup." He then turned to leave.

Meanwhile, Mal stood watchful as the numerous vampire guards began to exit the castle and make their way over to him. They stood in front of him in a half moon.

He noticed all of them wearing the same black suit, crisp white buttoned shirt, with a thin black tie. All wore sunglasses, which to be honest, confused him slightly. They are vampires. Why would they need glasses?

"Give her back to me." He repeated as a loud thunderous crack sounded out above them. A large lightning bolt ripple across the entire sky, illuminating the earth in a bright light.

The guards watched him with emotionless expressions as they slowly began to fan out.

Mal's anger began to rise when they refused to return his Beloved. It would seem that they would knowingly keep the two apart. Keep two Beloved apart, for a pathetic reason such as theirs.

His eyes began to glow brighter as the heat began to give off some smoke. He noticed the guards become uncertain as they watched something before them that they had no knowledge of. He slowly began to walk towards them as his anger began to manifest into lightning.

It rippled around his arms as stray bolts struck the ground. To give the guards credit, they didn't falter. They may have had fear cross their faces but they never gave up any ground.

A few decided to rush towards Mal with angry expressions. Their speed was noteworthy but yet, they were not on Mal's level. To him they were still very slow. His eyes could track their every movement. He flexed his arms slightly as the lightning shot outwards, hitting the rushing vampires in their chest. Throwing them backwards into their comrades.

He looked up at the remaining guards and found more than thirty or forty standing around. That seemed to be all of them as no more came out of the castle.

He sped to the closest vampire and grabbed him by the back of his neck. He spun him around so his back was facing to Mal. Mal sunk his fangs into the vampire and drank his fill before throwing the drained body in front of the rest.

The rest of the guards were taken aback by the action but once more, they did not falter.

They all rushed him at once. Mal stood his ground as he watched them speed towards him. He crouched down slowly with his right leg behind him. He put power into his legs at the same time placing the lightning within them. It seemed to the vampires that Mal's entire body was now a conductor for electricity.

He crashed into the rushing crowd letting his power burst outwards. Lightning danced around him as it struck those closest to him. The vampires were shot backwards as some were launched into the sky a couple dozen meters upwards. Some were shot backwards into the castle walls and into the windows. Shattering them upon impact.