Chapter Four

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~  Ashlynn (POV) ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe I missed that. I mentally scolded myself. Fifteen years. Fifteen damn years I have watched him and how could I not find out he was being abused at the orphanage? The one place he should have felt safe and yet it was the opposite.

As I drove away from the orphanage that night, I continued to listen to his heartbeat. Even now it was my favourite sound. But when I heard the commotion as well as the sped up heartbeat, I knew something was wrong.

I jumped out of my car and sped my way to the house listening intently to what was happening. I heard the harsh tone the older man used when talking to Malachi. I heard Malachi's heartbeat grow fainter. Something was very wrong.

As I made it to the orphanage, I didn't bother with formalities and instead burst through the door. It shattered around as I stood at the entrance taking in the sight before. Malachi crumbled to the floor limply while the older man backed away. He stood in front of a smaller woman with a brunette bob and I chuckled inwardly.

He was hurting Malachi, who he is supposed to have protected, and now he protected another. He was a hypocrite. How I wished I could just drain him dry. Or snap his puny neck. This human single handedly made me want to throw away my ideals and beliefs. But I knew if I did I would never forgive myself. Malachi would never forgive me.

I approached him slowing as I faintly heard him asking who I was. Why would I answer him? Why would I give him the satisfaction. I heard the soft heartbeat coming from Malachi and it instantly tore me away from my unintended prey.

I bent down quickly and picked him up. I felt the warmth spread through my body making me forget what I truly was. I sped back to the house that I bought just a few streets down and came to a stop just short of the large heavy wooden oak door. I opened it slowly and stepped inside.

I never bothered with the light switch, due to the fact that I could see in the dark. I went to my room at the far end of the second story and softly opened the doors, trying not to bother Malachi who still lay limp in my arms. I placed him on my king sized bed making sure to lay his head softly on the pillow.

I need to eat. I thought to myself. My anger is quickly draining my composure. 

I went down into the basement towards the freezers in the back. I kept hundreds of blood bags there, in order to allow myself not to go overboard if I need to feed of a human. This helps me keep my 'no killing rule'.

Four bags later and a full stomach I went back to my room. Knowing that there would be a lingering blood smell around me, I decided to take a shower.

Once finished, I dressed in my silver long silk pajamas and sat on the couch opposite the bed. I just couldn't sleep knowing that Malachi was in this position. I just want him to wake up.

After an hour of watching him sleep I heard his heartbeat drop very low. Something is wrong. It began to look like his body was giving up the fight to keep him alive.

I began to panic. What do I do? How can I convince him to stay alive if he won't wake up. I listened at his slowing heartbeat as I paced around the room trying to figure out what to do. But it was cutting close to the line. I gave up and rushed to his side.

Giving my right wrist a nip with my fangs, I let my blood seep from the wounds. When there was a steady enough flow, I brought my wrist to Malachi's mouth. I had to reopen the wounds four times before he began to drink freely. At least this way he would stay alive. As long as we don't complete the process, he should remain a human.