unwanted.

Mid-August, the Year 1989

Minerva McGonagall shifted back into her human form upon approaching the rather ratty looking muggle building she visited each year. Never had she actually entered the place, the woman merely kept a watchful eye for the child she had placed on its doorstep all those years ago.

"Wool's Orphanage," a mousy woman greeted her at the door, "I'm Evangeline Turner," she smiled kindly, "How may I help you?"

Minerva managed a small smile in return, "Mrs. McGonagall," she informed the employee, "I made an appointment."

"Oh, yes!" she recalled, "I received your letter just yesterday," Evangeline welcomed her inside. "I must admit this is rather odd, however."

"How so, Ms. Turner?" the professor inquired, politely refraining from covering her nose. The stench that overcame the place was overwhelming.

"Well," she brushed some invisible lint off from her apron, "It's just that Haley hasn't had any visitors before," Evangeline let her know sadly. "Poor thing isn't very sociable," she went on, leading McGonagall up the stairs and towards the eleven year-old child's tiny bedroom, "She's only ever had one friend here at Wool's and that was nearly two years ago."

"What happened?" the animagus couldn't help prying.

"Little Maggie was adopted," she stated, bluntly. "And before you ask," Evangeline continued, "Miss Smith has been adopted once before."

"Miss Smith?" Minerva pressed, unsure as to whom the brunette was referring to.

"Haley," she answered, "I had no choice but to name her myself after nearly a year passed by without any takers."

"What is the child's full name?" McGonagall asked, for all she had originally known was the first.

"Haley Jane Smith," Evangeline smiled proudly, despite the fact that it was a quite simple name, "She's a sweet child, truly," she explained. "But the Erikson's returned her for unknown reasons after just three months."

"How old was she, Ms. Turner?" she asked sadly. The 'unknown reasons' were undoubtedly magic related. Still, by the sounds of it, Lily's firstborn hadn't much luck with her life so far.

"Seven," the shorter woman replied, finally having reached the designated room. "Well, I'll leave you to it," Evangeline smiled at the professor once more before going back to work.

Minerva thanked her kindly, then reached for the rusty doorknob, turned it, and entered Haley's quarters.

"Hi," the little girl greeted shyly. She had been expecting somebody to barge in at any moment. Miss Evangeline had told her just this morning that a woman would be stopping by for a visit. She never said why, though.

"Hello, dear," McGonagall carefully sat on the edge of Haley's cot. Currently, the child was curled up in the very corner of it with her arms wrapped firmly around her legs.

While the professor had caught a few glimpses of her sitting alone outside amongst the playground, this was the first time since the girl's birth that Minerva was able to get a good look at her. Besides growing in height and hair length, she hadn't changed much. Yes, her complexion was a bit too pale despite her genetics, and no, her eyes weren't quite as bright as they once were, but all of that would be changing soon; which was the only thing keeping McGonagall from commenting on it.

"How are you?" she asked softly, not wanting to frighten the small girl.

"M'okay," Haley responded almost inaudibly. She then bravely asked for the woman's name.