You're Up Late

a/n: i finally have an update schedule! (in description) ALSO TYSM for 900 reads??? i love you all,, you leave such nice comments, they always make my day xx

It was past midnight. Castiel was sitting on one of the benches outside the dormitories, just breathing in the night air and clearing his mind. It was madness up there, he didn't know what he was supposed to do about it. He looked up at the stars, the steady unchanging pinpricks of light, and he felt a bit calmer. For some reason it was reassuring to think about how they'd been up there shining for millions of years, and would continue to shine for much longer. Castiel looked down at his hands, he twiddled his fingers aimlessly together, running his fingertips along his nail-beds, turning his hand over to trace the lines on his palm. While Cas was doing this, he noticed a loose string on the cuff of his favourite jumper and felt compelled to tug on it, when he did, part of the sleeve unraveled. Castiel frowned. Was he pulling on the string in real life as well? Should he be leaving things alone? Suddenly his phone started vibrating in the back pocket of his jeans, breaking him out of his thoughts. Begrudgingly pulling it out, he stared at the glowing screen, not recognizing the random number that had just shown up.

No Caller ID: Hey ;)

Cas: Who is this??

No Caller ID: Oh! Right, sry this is Dean

Cas smiled at the memory of writing his number on Dean's hand before he said goodbye. He thought about how beautiful Mr. Winchester's hands were, how supple and strong. Cas's face heated up as he added him to his contacts, simply putting Dean's initials in.

Cas: Oh hey, you're up late.

DW: Couldn't sleep
DW: Too busy thinking about you

Castiel found himself grinning at his phone. This was stupid, but Cas felt wonderful anyways.

Cas: Haha oh really?

DW: Yea, wish you were here tbh

Cas: :) that's sweet, wyd?

DW: I already told you
DW: Thinking about youu

Cas: Pshh haha what are you REALLy doing?

DW: Just having a drink

Cas: Sounds nice

DW: It would be better if I had some company..

Cas: Come pick me up then :P

DW: I just might ;)

Cas: ;)

DW: So what are you doing then

Cas: Just admiring the stars, thinking ab things lol

DW: Sounds lovely, what are you thinking about?

Cas: Well
Cas: I'm mostly thinking about you

DW: Stop it, you're making me bLuSh

Cas: haha, i'm just telling the truth!

DW: Fuck, you should be here with me
DW: I've probably had too much to drink but I would treat you so nice baby

Castiel shivered, but it had nothing to do with the nighttime chill in the air.

Cas: I would like that
Cas: But maybe we should continue this conversation when you're sober?

DW: Wouldn't make a difference honeybee, I feel higher than a kite when i'm with you

Cas: :') that's pretty cheesy, you know that right?

DW: I know :)

Cas: Can I see you tomorrow?

DW: Yea, we should go to the forest maybe? I know a place with a really nice lake, almost no one goes there at this time of year. You up for it?

Cas: God yes

DW: Great when should I pick you up?

Cas: How about 11?

DW: Sounds good baby

Cas: See you then ;)

Castiel pressed the power button on his phone and let the screen go dark. The darkness of the campus enveloping him again. It was surprisingly quiet here for a Saturday night. There was music playing somewhere in the distance, and the sounds of people laughing along with it, but for the most part, it was silent. Castiel closed his eyes, and let himself be.

***

"Whoa Cas is that you?!" A voice burst out, causing the blue-eyed college student to lurch awake. He didn't remember falling asleep. Confused, and swathed in that "am-I-in-another-dimension" post-nap feeling, he tried to get his bearings.
"Cas, whoa, why are you sleeping on a bench??"
Cas rubbed his tired eyes, still not sure who was talking to him. He glanced up groggily. "Charlie?" he asked.
"It's me! Queen of Moondor!" She said, sunny as always.
Castiel just groaned.
"You didn't answer my question," Charlie prodded as she sat down next to Cas on the rock hard public seat.
"I was sitting here and I must have fallen asleep. What time is it?" Cas grumbled as he rubbed his arms, now noticing how cold the night had gotten while he was catching his z's.
"It's about quarter after two," Charlie replied. She was digging through her purse for something.
"Jesus," Cas sighed. "What are you doing here?"
"I had a date," she said simply. "I went to her place but I didn't want to be there when she woke up. Chicks get attached you know,"
"Mm," Castiel acknowledged. Her mentioning this made him think about sleeping on Dean's couch.
"So!" Charlie pulled out a compact mirror and some hairpins from her seemingly bottomless purse. "How did your teacher thing go?" She tried to keep the distaste out of her voice but she didn't quite manage it. Charlie usually didn't judge anyone but this seemed to push her buttons in just the right way.
"Fantastic. Thank you for asking."
Charlie hummed neutrally as she pinned her hair back. "You're serious about this aren't you?"
"I don't know, maybe," Castiel said, maybe a bit too defensively.
Charlie sighed and turned to look at her friend. "Honestly Cas, you could have any dick in this school but you choose HIM. Him! A professor no less!"
"Well I didn't really choose anyone, it just kind of happened and I -" Cas's voice caught in his throat. He swallowed. "And I didn't stop it because I wanted this to happen. I want Dean, Charlie. I don't really know why but it feels more right than anything I've ever done before."
Charlie looked at him, searching his eyes for any sort of joking quality, lie or bluff and when she came up with nothing except for the fact that Castiel was telling the truth, she shook her head and started to get up. "You're playing with fire Cassie."
"I know."
Charlie stood in front of him. "You know what happens to people who play with fire?" She was walking away now, purse slung over her shoulder, jean skirt wiggling on her hips. "They get burned!" Charlie called out, crystal voice echoing off the dorm buildings, cascading into the night like some sort of haunting prophecy.

a/n: i know this chapter is short but the next one is like half done so dw <3