A Life in Boxes

a/n: the last chapter marked the year anniversary of this fic and i just want to say thank you to all of you who've been here from the start, comment if you have <3 !!! ily guys ALSO 23k??? I MUST BE DREAMING
btw lemme tell you a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down,,, jk i'm not gonna explain everything lol but basically everything is a crazy mess rn and that's why i haven't been updating and ugh i feel horrible about it.

Dean laughed, deep and throaty. His shirtsleeves were rolled up above his elbows and he was packing the random objects scattered on the kitchen island into a cardboard box.
"Sounds like you had an eventful night," he smiled.
"I did! I've never been kicked out of anywhere before!" Cas giggled, hand resting on his chin. He was sitting at the island, trying to ignore how sad it was that most of Dean's life was all around them, packed up in boxes just like the one in front of him.
"There's a first time for everything I suppose," Dean smirked as he wrapped a teacup in a newspaper and stuck it in the box. He seemed to stare for a moment and Dean's happy expression suddenly melted. He pushed a hand through his messy hair, put both hands out and leaned onto the counter. "The foreclosure sale is in just under three weeks," he whispered quietly into the air.
Silence descended upon them.
Castiel got up from his seat, walking around the island to wrap his arms around Dean's body and rest his head against the older man's muscular back. He felt the warmth and tension radiating through his shirt and sighed.
"It's going to be okay baby," Castiel said reassuringly, with more conviction than he had felt about the subject before. Something had lightened in him since the incident at Starlite Diner.
Dean turned around to face his younger boyfriend, the lines in his face taught with stress and worry.
"Everything will be gone," Dean whispered. His hands were hanging listlessly by his sides and he looked like a lost dog, worn and tired.
Castiel reached up and put his soft hands to Dean's stubbled face. "You'll have the Impala," Cas said quietly, looking intently into Dean's eyes. "And you'll have me. You'll always have me."
A hint of a smile appeared on Dean's lips, and he leaned forward and closed the space between them. He pressed his perfect lips against Cas's slightly chapped ones and smiled into the kiss, how he loved his boy.
Cas pulled away and stared into Dean's lovely green eyes, marvelling at how much he loved the man in front of him and at how far they'd come. He took a deep breath in and out and decided he couldn't keep it from his lover any longer. "Dean, I know you're probably thinking that I've been staying with you for the past couple of days because of everything that's happened but um, actually there's a bit more to it than that."
Dean's eyebrows furrowed. "Oh?" he asked a bit cautiously, it was clear he was wondering what else could've possibly gone wrong.
"I um, I dropped out Dean, I wasn't just not going to school because I was upset... I actually got in a fight with the dean of the college and well um, i'm not going back."
Dean's face fell, the shock was written all over. He tried to speak but only a small gasp fell out at first. Castiel lowered his eyes and looked to the floor.
"You what?!" Dean cried in a harsh whisper, like he barely dared to believe it. "But but Cas, I know how much getting an education meant to you, how much it still MEANS to you, how hard you worked to get here. Oh my god," Dean broke off. He looked like he would've cried at the hopelessness of it all if he hadn't been so tired already.
"I don't want to go to college here, maybe somewhere else but not here... Look this doesn't mean I won't ever get an education, now just isn't a good time for it. Because right now all I want in this world is you and to be with you where've you a-"
Without warning, Dean embraced Cas in a suffocating bear hug. "I'm no where" he murmured, voice caught between his mouth and Cas's shoulder.
Cas felt tears beginning to form along his lower lash line, "You're my somewhere."

***

"You're selling-"
"-Like everything?"
"What the bank isn't taking-"
"-Yeah that's what I meant but,"
"-You're going to live in the Impala?"
Sam and Gabe's words and sentences were tripping over each other as they tried to process what Dean and Cas were telling them.
"Look," started Dean. "What we're doing is selling everything that we can get any money from and we're basically going to move into the Impala. It's like a road trip."
"That's not very practical," Gabriel pointed out from his perch on the kitchen island. He had one of those little paper umbrellas you put in drinks in one hand, and his drink in the other. They were all gathered in Dean's, now mostly empty, house for a few drinks and some quality time. "I mean the money is only going to get you so far..."
"I have my school fund," Castiel piped up. "Dean doesn't want me to touch it," he said throwing his boyfriend a sidelong glance, "but it's my money so I'll decide what to do with it."
Dean rolled his eyes. "Why spend your money when I'm so good at hustling pool."
Castiel threw him a look.
Sam and Gabriel exchanged glances, both thinking the same thing. Their two close friends were already acting like an old married couple. "But you can't just drive around forever, you'll have to settle down sometime." Sam looked at his brother worriedly over his glass of whiskey.
"We will, eventually," came Dean's answer. He too had a glass of whiskey in his hand.
Castiel wasn't drinking. "At some point we'll find a place, and a steady job, and we'll start our lives over."
"In San Francisco!" Dean said happily, the alcohol might have had something to do with it.
Castiel smirked, adjusting his position on the stool near the island, "Whatever you say babe."
"Is someone's phone ringing?" Gabe asked as he unsuccessfully tried to balance the paper umbrella on the tip of his nose.
"Shit that's me," Castiel replied grudgingly, recognizing the ringtone. "Be right back," he said standing, as everyone looked around at each other. They had all noticed Cas's reluctant expression and were wondering what was up.

Cas left the room and picked up his phone which had been sitting on the mantle in what used to be the living room. The place was now just an empty spot, even the coffee table and couch had been packed away. Picking up his phone, Castiel stared at the display which was prompting him to answer. In bold letters across the screen it said "Charlie."
Rolling his eyes, Castiel decided he better answer it, considering he might never see her again. This phone call would be the last time.
"Hello?" Cas inquired, the completely done sound of his voice resonating through the air. He was very aware of the silence in the next room, all of his friends were listening.
"Cas," came the choked reply. It was Charlie, but not regular Charlie, this one was a wreck and sobbing uncontrollably into the receiver. "I'm. So. Sorry." She punctuated every word with a gross sniff and shaky breath.
"It's a little late for that," Cas replied simply. He had no sympathy for her, she'd betrayed him in a way that could never be forgiven.
"Cas please, listen to me," she cried loudly. "Jennifer used me, she was lying to me the whole time," Charlie broke off into another fit of loud sobbing.
Castiel felt a pang in his chest, he was hardwired to care about his friends, but this time he wasn't going to let it get the better of him. At this point, Charlie deserved everything she got. He stayed quiet, listening to her cry.
"Castiel," she said hopelessly, "Jennifer's not even into girls, she lied to me the entire time and I- I was falling in love with her."
Castiel let the silence crackle through the phone for a moment before he answered. "So you know what it feels like then."
"What?" Charlie sniffed.
"Love, you know what love feels like."
"I suppose," she said, her tears on hold for a moment.
"Do you realize that you tried to destroy my love, do you realize you attempted and plotted and meditated on how to TAKE my love from me?" Castiel asked calmly.
"Oh, Cassie," the waterworks had started again. "I'm so sorry, I made such a mistake, I, I, I" the words dissolved into shaky sobs.
Cas took a breath, "Don't call me Cassie, in fact, I'd appreciate if you never called me again. I'm not forgiving you, and I do not feel bad about it. Have a nice life Charlie, it can only go up from here."
And then, he hung up.

a/n: savage cas is my favourite cas, also i hope this chapter didn't feel too rushed?? i'm sorry i'm still trying to get back into the swing of writing.

psa: wattpad premium can eat my actual pussy