Prologue Part 2

Claudine’s POV

‘Where am I?... Water… I need water… I can hear a river trickling…’ I thought as I wondered in the direction I could hear small river run. Sitting at the edge and looking at my reflection I realised I was still in my changed form. “Oh yeah, I remember now. I need to change back now.” I said, and with that changed back to my normal 5 year old form. “Better… Now, water.” Placing my hands into the water then bringing them up to my lips I drank it and my eyes sparkled at the freshness of it. I then stepped into the water. “Mmm… that feels good.” I sighed. “Time to bathe.”

I began thinking again after a peaceful bath, listening to the sound of the birds chirping. ‘Where am I anyway. I have no idea where to go or what to do. I’m lost and it’s getting dark, and I’m still not dry yet.’ I shivered as a cool breeze blew through the forest. “And I’m hungry…” I spoke as my stomach rumbled. “Mother… Father… I miss you so much.” I whispered as I curled up against a tree and closed my eyes hoping for some sort of rest. Sleep never took me over as I lay there, still with closed eyes as hours passed me by. My eyes snapped open at the sound of footsteps rushing in my direction. ‘I need to hide.’ I sighed then hid in a bush. I sat in silence waiting for them to pass. But to my disappointment they stopped.
“It’s late; we should camp here till first light.” A boy spoke. He had spikey silver hair that looked windblown to one side and one black eye while the other was covered with a headband that had a symbol.
“Kakashi, are you sure?” A girl spoke; she had dark hair with red eyes.
“Yes.” The boy named Kakashi said. “You already know what to do.”
‘Who are they? Must be real ninja!’ I though as I watched them set up camp. I started to get a little nervous. ‘They’re going to find me. What if they try to kill me or torture me for information? I don’t know anything. I’m useless to them.’ In my panic of thoughts, my mind became empty and my body moved in an attempt to escape. If I was caught I’d put up a fight. ‘NOW!’ I sprinted out of the small bush I was hiding in and ran in a direction I had no idea where. There were a few shouts from behind me. But I couldn’t hear them, and I didn’t plan on stopping any time soon. It wasn’t long before I was caught and dragged back to where they’d set up camp.

I was now bond by ropes then tied to a tree stopping me from any further attempts to escape and run away. Kakashi was the one that had caught me and seemed slightly frustrated with the struggle and had to call the other two boys to help restrain me. In that time, the girl who was also on their team came back hearing all the commotion and saw the boys in the middle of my restraint. And now here I am. I don’t think things could get any worse. The two boys are keeping a look out while the one called Kakashi and the girl in front of me on either side.
“Alright, now that is done with, we’ll start from the beginning.” He spoke. “What’s your name?”
“……………………………” He sighed then spoke again.
“Where are you from?” I still didn’t answer. I just stared down at my legs and ignored all his questions. As he realised I wasn’t listening he became more serious and stern grabbing my attention again. “If you don’t answer our question now, we’ll have no choice but to take you back to our village and have you interrogated and forced to talk. Do you understa-“
“Yes! I understand! Just leave me alone! If you’re going to kill me just do it already! I have no information that would be of any use to you!” I raised my voice with tears in my eyes, some escaped as I looked down again.
“Why would we kill you?”
“Why don’t you tell me mister ‘I’m so smart because I can use big words and sound smart.’” I said the last part sarcastically. “You’re just a big show off aren’t you, ‘Little Boy’” He seemed shocked at what I had said at first but his expression quickly turned to irritation and annoyance.
“Kakashi,” The girl spoke up cutting him off just as he was about to through an insult back. “Why don’t you let me speak to her? She might feel more comfortable.” He sighed with a nod then walked past me and disappeared from sight. I felt slightly relieved when the tension ceased to a lower level. “Okay, let’s start again shall we? My name is Kurenai Yuhi, what’s your name?” She asked, only to be answered by silence. “Where are you from?” She asked kindly. I still don’t know if I can trust them yet. Kurenai sighed before speaking again. “What Kakashi said before he walked off is true. If you don’t speak now, you will be made to when we take you back to our village. I don’t think you’d like how the information would be extracted.” Not a peep was spoken from my lips, until she turned to walk away.
“Claudine…” I said just above a whisper. Kurenai turned back around with a questioning hum. “My name, is Claudine Lasarous.” I began speaking clearly. “I came from a camp that burned down. My mother died when I was 2, and my father was murdered by bandits at the camp site I came from. They killed the family that travel with us.” My blood boiled at the thought of what they did.
“How did you escape?” She asked a bit confused at how I was still alive.
“I killed them after they killed everyone.” I stated and paused for a moment. “And I know you’re behind the tree Kakashi.” He then stepped out from behind the tree. Kurenai looked at him slightly taken back by how I knew he was there. “I could sense you there. My dad taught me.”
“Okay, one last question.” Kakashi said lazily. I guess he’s calmed down now. “How old are you?”
“I’m 5. How old are you?”
“You don’t need to know right now. For now, Kurenai, go get the other two and let them know they can get some sleep.” She nod once then disappeared. Turning back to me, he sighed again. Geez, this guy seems like the type that doesn’t like hard work. “I’ll be awake on watch, so I’ll untie you from the tree so you can sleep. Just, don’t run off.”
‘Wow, he has a beautiful eye… Why is the other one covered?’ “Why is your eye covered with your headband? Is it missing?”
“No, it’s not missing.” Was all he said. “Why are you soaking wet?”
“Well, a bathed in my clothes. They also needed to be cleaned as well, so I left them on. Duh. Don’t you do the same?”
“No… You don’t have spare clothes do you?”
“Does it really look like it?”
“Alright, sit close to the fire to dry off before you fall asleep.” I just nod. It was cold and I really didn’t want to get sick. Just then the others appeared. “Leave the girl alone for now and just get to sleep.” They kept staring for a moment then found a spot to fall asleep. Kurenai lie to the side of me back from the fire more and lay there. “We’ll take you back to the village with us tomorrow. The Hokage will decide what to do.” I didn’t reply as my thoughts took me over.
‘Will I get kicked out like Bard said would happen? Will they kill me once they find out my secret? What should I do? I can’t run, I’ll just get caught again.’ They continued on like that until darkness took me over.

I was woken from my sleep by Kurenai shaking me looking a little concerned. “What happened?”
“You were crying and yelling in your sleep.” Kakashi said. I looked up at him as I sat forward then wiped my face. I guess I was. I looked around and everyone’s attention was on me. It was day light now.
‘I hope I wasn’t like this the whole night. How long was Kurenai trying to wake me?’ I wondered.
“It’s time to go back to the village. I’ll carry you the-”
“No.” I cut him off rudely. “I’m strong enough. I think I can keep up.”
“You’re slower than us and you’ll become a burden. I will carry you.”
“Why? I don’t know you. I don’t trust you.”
“And we don’t trust you.” He replied sternly. “How do we know you won’t run off?”
‘I guess he’s got a point. And I have nothing to argue back with.’ I sighed in defeat and simply looked to the ground. He turned his back to me and knelt down. Climbing on his back I made sure I held on tight. God know, I’d more than likely fall to my death. With that, they were running and jumping through trees.

We arrived at the village and headed straight to a large red building. ‘I guess that’s where the Hokage is.’ We reached doors to enter the building and Kakashi finally put me down. ‘Free at last. It feels so good to stand on my own now.’ I sighed with relief and Kakashi noticed.
“Your welcome.” He said lazily. I looked to the side not wanting to look him in the eye. To be honest, it felt nice to be held in warm arms. It was comforting. We climbed multiple flights of stairs and walked through long corridors. Wow, and I thought it looked big from the outside. It seems bigger on the inside. Finally stopping at double doors, Kurenai knocked lightly. There was a faint ‘come in’ heard from the other side of the doors. Kakashi and Kurenai walked in first, I followed and the two other boys walked in behind me. I was boxed in, so there was no chance at escape. They must really think I’m untrustworthy. Looking straight ahead of myself, I sore an older man sitting behind a desk, smoking a pipe. I started day dreaming when Kakashi started explaining to the Hokage about me and what I had told them. There were little blue birds flying around outside, happily chasing each other, being free to do whatever they wanted. My attention was brought back to the old man as he said my name.
“Claudine is it?” I nod in answer to his question. “I will highly consider allowing you to stay if you truly have nowhere else to go.” My eye widened at what he said.
“Really?” ‘This might actually be a new start. A new life!’ I thought cheerfully.
“But in or for that to happen, you will be further interrogated for more information.” My heart sunk again. Why do people want to know my life story? There’s not much to it.
“Okay, I’ll do it.” I agreed willingly. ‘The sooner I get this over with, the sooner I’ll have a new home.’

Two days of giving and receiving information and I was almost ready to go to my new home and work out a plan from there with the Hokage. The interrogators wanted to see for themselves what happened that night. They found it hard to believe I killed those men. I could understand though. But they weren’t going to like what they sore. I fell unconscious as they scanned through my memories. I felt that something wasn’t right and I was conscious once again. “GET THE HOKAGE!” One of them shouted. What was going on? Curious, I asked.
“What happened?” There was no answer. “What’s goin-“
“Shut up you demon!” A man demanded. I was taken aback by what he’d said. Then began to panic.
‘No, not again… I’m going to be thrown to the side again…’ It wasn’t long before the Hokage appeared along with masked men in robes.
“Do you have any idea what you carry within that small body of yours?” He asked, more of a demand. I shook my head. “It seems that you carry the five tails miss Laserous.”