Chapter 8

Everyone met up at the front gates of the village and of course, Kakashi was the last one to arrive. As always he managed to pull an excuse out of thin air. I have come to the conclusion the excuses are a lot like ass wholes, everybody has one. I giggle at the statement silently.

"Sorry I'm late, a black cat crossed my path so I had to take the long way." Naruto and Sakura looked irked by this, Sasuke played it cool as he always did but I could see right through that mask, he was just as annoyed as the others and the old man just grumbled. I rather not waste my time listening to a stubborn obnoxious drunkard when there are more important things to worry about. Such as not being late all the time like Mr. Hatake over here who is currently rubbing the back of his neck whilst being scolded by two of his own students.

"They make a good point Kakashi, you might be able to learn something from them."

"Not you too Claudine."

"It doesn't matter right now, let's just go already." I sighed slightly bugged by everyone.

"Gees, what's wrong with her?" Naruto attempted to mumble to himself.

"Naruto don't be so rude." Sakura scolded him, the old man then added his five cents worth.

"He's right you know." Did they seriously think that I can't here them. And so the journey begins. After some time we all seemed to end up in two file lines. Sakura was at the front with Sasuke talking his ear off, Naruto and I in the middle and Kakashi was at the back with Tazuna who was the old man we were guiding. I glanced back and frowned in my thoughts, His expression was still the same scoul he's had the whole time. He reacked of booze, considering he has been drinking all morning. Something didn't seem right and I didn't trust him.

"Hey Claudine?" Naruto's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Hm?" I glanced down to look at the young boy beside me.

"Is everything okay?" He had a puzzled look on his face.

"What made you ask that?" I sofened my gaze towards him.

"Well you just seem to be acting a bit different. Has someone done something wrong?" Why is Naruto worried about me. I gave him a small smile

"No, I've just been thinking." He seemed to cheer up a little.

"That's good, I was worried that someone was being mean." His smile grew. "You can tell me if you want." That's when I noticed a puddle of water on the edge of the path. That's not a real puddle, the sun is beaming and it hasn't rained for days. I glanced beck at Kakashi to see if he noticed it, seems he did.

"Not right now, maybe another time." I spoke. "Thank you Naruto." He beamed his famous grin at me with a thumb up.

"Any time." Just after Naruto said that two men rose up from the 'puddle' and began to attack, catching Kakashi with their barbed chains then ripping him to shreds.

"Kakashi Sensai!" All three Genin cried out, I understand what happened. In one swift move I was standing beside the old man, Naruto froze with shock of what was happening, Sasuke managed to hold his own and protect Naruto from a fatal injury and landing a few strong blows to both enemy and pinning the chain to a tree with his shuriken. Both men detached the chains before charging directly at the old man, Sakura jumped in front of him with her arms out, then Sasuke jumped in front of her with his kunai in hand ready to defend. Just then Kakashi appeared caught on of the men around his throat while I held the other by his hair and knocked him unconscious.

"Kakashi Sensai!" Sakura chimed happy to see her teacher wasn't really dead.

"Is everyone alright?" He asked. Everyone gave a nod except for Naruto who was still frozen in place but managed a 'Yeah' and heard Sasuke being a smart ass towards Naruto.

"Hey, you're not hurt are you? Scared-y cat." I should backhand him right now.

"Well now," I spoke up. "That sure escalated quickly." I gave a closed eyed smile.

"I'm not sure you should be smiling right now, we were just ambushed after all." Kakashi sighed out.

"I know, but it's not just that," Everyone waited a moment for me to finish my sentence. "I was right about my instincts. They were targeting one specific person, can anyone guess who that person might be?" I said more of a sarcastic statement. Kakashi was the one to answer and finish summing up the conclusion.

"They were after Tazuna, I believe you have some explaining to do." I handed the man I had a hold of to Kakashi so he could tie them up together while I approached the old man and get him to explain himself.

As it turns out he was the main target to do with the construction of the bridge he had designed to connect the Land of Waves to the main lands for traders to come and go, boosting their economy. He mentioned a man by the name of Gato who had taken control and was 'ruling' the land, hiring bandits to do his bidding. To sum it up this guy didn't want this bridge to be built because it went against his interest and wanted Tazuna dead. Unfortunately he didn't have the money to list it as an A rank so he lied and it was classed as C rank intead.

"This guy sounds like a total jerk." I remarked. "You really shouldn't have lied about it, you put the lives of children in serious danger."

"I know and I'm sorry," Tazuna looked down in shame.

"Not to mention that Naruto was injured in the process but those weapons were coated in poison." I said turning to the boy who stared at me with wide eyes. Kakashi walked over to inspect his hand.

"I'm sorry Naruto, I didn't think that you would freeze up like you did. We don't have much of a choice now we have to go back to the village, this wound needs medical attention before the poison spreads-" Naruto took out a kunai and stabbed it through the wound in his hand to bleed the poison out.

"No." He spoke through gritted teeth. "I'm not going back until we finish this mission." This kid sure has gut and a heart of gold.

"Naruto that's cool and all but if you lose anymore blood you're going to die." Great way to scare a child Hatake I thought as I watched Naruto freaking out about not wanting to die.

"Calm down Naruto," I said grabbing his wrist and looking at his injury again. It was already healing due to the Nine Tails within. "You're going to be okay, just need a bit of bandage. Now hold still." He watch silently as I wrapped a short bandage around his hand firmly but so it was still comfortable. "It should heal fast."

"Thanks Claw." He grinned. I rose back to my feet and turned to Kakashi.

"What do we do about these idiots?"

"Send a message back to HQ, they will send someone to take them back."

"Right away." I nod my head and took out a small piece of paper and small pencil, finishing within seconds I summoned a messenger hawk to carry the message.

"Okay let's keep going."