Chapter 1

Claudine’s POV

I woke up early in the morning after another nightmare. I looked outside to see that the sun wasn’t up yet. But it wasn’t far off. Nightmares aren’t that unusual for me. Although I don’t have them all the time. Mostly just the memories of my family dying, and like last night, sometimes I see myself losing control and going on a rampage again. Years have passed since the last time that happened. I’m glade things have been worked out. Sometimes I still see him in my dreams, memories from before he left. Occasionally we’ll see each other while out on missions, or secretly meet outside and beyond the villages walls. ‘Itachi…’ It’s been a while since we last met. ‘I guess we’ve both been so busy lately. Sasuke is growing up. It doesn’t seem like that long ago he was running around chasing after you.’ These thoughts continued to run through my mind as I got up and readied myself for the day ahead. I sighed then walked over to the front door and opened it. “Hello Kakashi.”

“Well your skills certainly aren’t lacking. How are you this morning Claudine?”

“Exhausted still. What can I do for you on this lovely morning?”

“Well,” He started out with a closed eye smile. “I was wandering if you’d like to join me at the memorial stone?” A looked at him blankly for a moment.

“Sure… Come in, I just need to finish getting ready. Would you like a coffee and some breakfast?”

“Just a coffee is fine, thank you.” I let him in then walked into the kitchen.

“Make yourself comfy.” He simply nod and sat in a chair at the small table. My apartment wasn’t overly big. But a cosy size as I was told when I received it. The kitchen and dining area were joined as one and to the left as you walked in, a small sized lounge room on the right, and to the back right was a bathroom while across the small hallway was my bedroom. Not much, but it’s where I live. I placed a mug down in front of Kakashi while he gazed around examining the place and sat down opposite him with my own. “Nothing has changed since you were here last if that’s what you’re wondering. The only things I’ve moved is my books when I’ve been reading.”

“Yeah, it’s kind of nice.” I looked at him for a moment confused. “So, how have you been sleeping?” I sighed then took a mouthful of my coffee before turning my gaze away from his. “You’ve been having nightmares again for a while now haven’t you?”

“Some nights are better than others.” I simply stated.

“And that’s why you’ve been exhausted.”

‘Geez, he reads me like a book. I say I’m exhausted and he knows why, when others just assume I’ve just been over doing myself too much.’ “Am I that obvious to you.”

“Not just me. Remember, Kurenai is the same as well. She knows when something about you is off. The Hokage too.”

“Are we really having this conversation first thing in the morning?” Kakashi sighed and sat silently for a moment. “I know you guys are just worried about me, and appreciate it. But I’m fine. The dreams will pass soon. It’s just that time of year. I’ll remember one way or another. You know that.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” I finished my drink, washed my cup then went to my bedroom to grab my equipment and strapped it all on. Leaving my bedroom, Kakashi was standing at the front door. “Ready to go?” He asked and I gave a simple nod. With that we left toward the memorial stone.

It was peaceful at the stone and gave me time to clear my mind and unwind a little. I felt better after a little prayer to mother and father. I can’t forgive and I’ll never forget, but I’ve come to accept that they are no longer with me. I thanked Kakashi for his company. He smiled happily and we parted ways. The moment I walked into the bustling streets I looked up at the stone faces of the past and present Hokage, only to see them covered in paint. “Oh dear, he’s at it again.” I know instantly who the culprit was. “And speak of the devil here he comes.” A young boy in orange with blonde spikey hair came running in my direction.