It wasn't like that

--------

There's always a hell in hello

always a good in goodbye

always a lie in believe

always an over in lover

always an end in friend

always an if in life

--------

Harper's Pov

My eyes slowly opened.
A small light shone in the corner of the room projecting from a single plain lap sat on a dark oak side table.
My nose was being attacked my so many strong smells, one being Heyden's and my ears began to ring.
I heard the whispering of others walking past the door like they were right next to me, shouting it into my ear.
I was huddled into a hard chest someone's arm draped over me.
Shuffling around I tried to escape his grip but my body felt...strange.
After finally managing to pull me out from Hayden's death grip I swung myself over the ledge of the bed.
I expected to land on my legs but instead landed on four.

A loud yelp flew from my lips causing Heyden to sit up.His eyes flooded with worry which quickly subsided as his eyes landed on me.
"Harper, you scared me," He muttered getting up.
I was so low to the ground and everything was begging to hurt.

Another whimper left my lips as I looked at my...paws.Panic began washing over me like tidal waves but half of me knew what was happening. I tried desperately to cry out and scream but nothing left my lips.Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror and my body began to shake...

I was a wolf.

"Calm down Dove...I'm guessing you know what's going on?" He asks bending down to me as I nod my head.
"Good. Well, you mother has a lot of explaining to do" He growled picking me up.
Instincts took over as I curled up in his arms my wolf apparently being tiny.

My body still shook in his arms as he carefully weaved through the corridors and down to his office. The door flew open and instantly I glance around the room. Bookcases lining the back wall while a large hand carved oak desk sat pride of place in front of it.

Papers flooded over onto the cold wooden flooring and all natural light burst through the large window taking up the most of the right wall. On the left wall was a grand map scouting out all of the territories, the dangers and files were pinned by it explaining all past and present events that had happened in each pack.

I felt a deep growl rip through me as I caught sight of my so called 'mother'. Hayden gripped onto me a little tighter before moving to the two small sofas in the room. My mother. No.

Isabella sat across on the opposite one with Adam by her holding her close. Her eyes were surprisingly dull and sleep hung from them creating bags. The once calm vibrant brown eyes were now wild causing her to be restless.

Her mouth opened before she snapped it shut seeing my reaction. Silence sat above us in thick clouds almost suffocating us. But, I nudge Heyden's arm with my nose with pleading eyes.

If I was going to hear this I need to be in my human state. As if he read my thoughts he let me go and I trotted back to the room and quickly changed. My thick brown hair into a tight bun while slipping on one of Heyden's oversized shirts. The soft gray fabric smelled like him and trailed down just past my knee.

Taking one last deep breath I headed back downstairs.

---------

"Explain," I growl slamming open the door.

The whole room grew silent but I saw Heyden smirk from the corner of my eye. Quickly shooting him a 'not now look' he pouted slightly before putting on a straight face. Strolling over to them I felt Heyden wrap his arms around my waist and pull me onto his lap.

He buried his face into my neck his arms tightening around my waist pulling me into his hard chest. I could feel his emotions radiating from his in waves as he tried to keep himself as well as me under control.

"I...I don't know where to start..." Isabella murmured tightening her grip on Adam.
"The beginning Isabella," I could tell saying her name shocked her by the way her eyes widened and sadness pulled her curved lips into a frown.

"Well...When I was 20 I was rejected by my mate. I ran and was pronounced a rogue and decided to settle with someone other than my mate. That's when I met your...Father" Her face twisted into regret as the words left her mouth. 

I felt my stomach drop and bile rise in my throat as the words slipped her lips. I twisted slightly on his lap so that I could hug Heyden easier. He rewrapped his arms around me hugging me a little bit tighter.

"We fell in what we thought was love...We were both rogues both rejected by our mates although he never told me why he was rejected...I found out soon enough... He began getting abusive when he found out I was pregnant with you. After eight months you were born and it died down a little. He loved you to bits and we were the perfect family. Well at least for a little while," Hr eyes cast downwards looking at the floor.

A part of me felt sorry for her. Making her relive these memories but then I remembered how many times her supposed death kept me up at night. How many sleepless night I was forced through after she 'died'.

"Over the years it got worse and worse. You were six when he hit you for the first time. I remember the horror on your face when he hit you and I swore he would never lay a hand on you ever again," 

I snort interrupting her moment.

"Never lay a hand on me ever again. Bullshit. He beat me. Every. Single. Day. After you supposedly died. Then he almost killed me. He took a kitchen knife and stabbed me right here" I lifted up my shirt slightly showing the faint scar on my stomach " And I was left to die on the floor. I couldn't get up or find help because he had beaten me beforehand making me weak and the knife had gone through my body and into the floor. He had pinned me to the floor with the knife still in me keeping me there. Then he left. Just like you did," I roar hopelessness clear in my voice.

"You were eight," She continued not commenting on my reasoning.
"I thought that if he killed me...He would finally wake up and realize what he was doing was wrong. I thought that he was in some sort of dream state and he would finally wake up and treat you better. Around this time I met Adam. I thought it would work then I would leave with him and join his pack..." She muttered.

"Did you not take a second and think about what would happen if it didn't work. Did you not even think you would miss me or did you just want to get rid of me and start your new life? Have your own perfect family and forget about you old broken one," I bellowed tears gathering at the corners of my eyes.

"It wasn't like that Harper!" Her brown eyes blazed with anger as a small ring of gold highlighted the edge of her eyes and she stood up.

"Yeah I bet it wasn't," I seethed sarcasm dripping from each word as I abruptly stood up.

I may not have been taller but I could feel her begin to give in. Before anything could happen Heyden gripped my waist and dragged me out the room trying to calm me.

It wasn't working until I felt the inky blackness take over my vision again.

Exhaustion took over.