-CHAPTER ONE-

The next morning, Belinda wasted no time and got ready. As she descended the narrowed stairs of her home, she listened for the voice of her father but there was only silence. He walked into the foyer from the kitchen, a cup in hand with presumably black coffee.

He smiled. "Good morning."

"Did you get any calls?"

When he shook his head, she let out a breath. "Thank god."

"It seems there was a reason why the male came personally to pick up Kassie." He paused as he processed something in his head. "Perhaps someone was stopping the chosen ones from reaching their destinations."

Her mother walked into the foyer. "Honey, please don't discuss work stuff right now."

When her mother met her gaze, Belinda looked away, not able to withstand the worry in her mother's eyes. Today was her birthday. From the hint she received yesterday, which everyone witnessed, she was certain she too would be chosen and evidently, her mother suspected it as well.

"You're still worried?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Her mother wiped away a tear with the back of her hand and inhaled, clearly trying to not cry to no avail. "That boy said—"

"What he said meant nothing," her father said before taking a sip of his coffee. "Drop it."

"Pretending to not have heard a word will not change a thing." Her mother was sobbing now.

"Mom, dad is right." Belinda had no idea what else to say to reassure her mother that she wouldn't be chosen.

When her mother walked back into the kitchen, Belinda tried to follow, but her father stopped her. "You should head to school before you're late."

"I'm not sure I want to attend today." After what happened, everyone probably expected her to be next and she would rather avoid getting pity looks all day.

He hesitated for a moment. "Okay, but tomorrow you're going."

Belinda nodded and wrapped her arms around herself as he headed into the kitchen. When the argument between her parents begun, she decided it was best to return to her room. Once there, she lay in her bed and stared at the white ceiling.

No body had been found today, so that had to mean that Kassie was okay.

Or at least for now.

Some bodies were found a week after the person had been chosen.

Her heart clenched at the thought of her friend being tortured. Tears glistened her cheeks as the pain intensified, but then, it was as if gentle fingers brushed over her forehead and it actually subsided the pain. 

Wide-eyed, Belinda sat up, eyes swiveling in every direction. After reassuring herself that she was alone, she brushed her fingers over the spot.

What the hell was that?

At a knock on the door, she jumped, startled. "Who is it?"

"It's me," her mother said.

Belinda opened the door for her mother. There were no words exchanged as her mother locked her in a warm hug. Tears flooded down her face, as Belinda returned the embrace. After giving Belinda a kiss on the forehead, her mother pulled back.

"I don't know what I would do if you were chosen."

"Mom, if I am...I don't want you to stress out over it. For many years, it has been seen as an honor—"

"Recently it clearly is a death sentence to be chosen," She let out a soft sob. "If something happened to you...I would not be able to keep living."