CHAPTER ELEVEN

Belinda stared in complete disbelief at her mother, trying to comprehend everything. Her mother had lied; she wasn't human but a vampire.

Belinda had a brother who was clearly Fane's enemy. 

"You shouldn't have kept this a secret," Fane said, eyes slowly turning pitch-black like a moonless night. "Who is her father, Bexley."

"Fane—" Her mother halted her words when he shot her a look that would bring anyone to their knees.

"Is she?" 

Her mother nodded as tears trickled down her cheeks. "You must understand that I did not tell you everything because I was terrified of how you would react."

"Does my mother know?"

Her mother nodded. "She knows everything."

Without another word, Fane turned and vanished. When Belinda tried to go after him, her brother stepped in front of her and grabbed her forearm.

"He needs time to adjust to all this."

She wrenched her hand free. "None of this makes any sense."

"Come inside so we can talk," her mother said.

Belinda did not argue with her mother. Once inside, she wrapped her trembling hands around herself, trying to understand why Fane would react the way he had.

What could have happened between Alaric and Fane for them to hate each other?

"We're you born a vampire?" Her mother nodded. "How can that be posible? I'm human."

"Your grandmother was human...it's rare but sometimes, it can happen."

"So..." She glanced at the man she had known all of her life to be her father. "Who is my father?"

"Your father passed away almost two years ago."

Belinda felt the floor beneath begin to sway. "Who was he?"

Her mother hesitated. "Jericho."

Belinda took a seat, feeling as if she would pass out any second. "The one—the one who murdered Fane's twin?" When her mother nodded, she lurched to her feet. "How could you keep this from me! I had every right to know!"

"Belinda, calm down," her father said.

"How can I calm down? I'm the daughter of the one who—" she sat down as she fought back tears. For the longest, no one spoke. "What made you finally tell the truth?"

Alaric answered for her mother. "I became tired of keeping it a secret and walked right into the town meeting."

Belinda clasped her trembling hands on her lap. "When did Fane's mother find out?"

"When she came to speak to me right after you left with Fane the first time."

"And his father?"

Tears accumulated in her mother's eyes. "Zaeley told him...that's one of the reason why he came personally. When you left with Keisha, I met him in the woods...he asked me why I continued to hide the truth...I told him the truth. I was terrified that Fane would take his anger out on you. I didn't want you to pay for your father's actions...as Alaric is."