CHAPTER SIX

Belinda had no idea how much time passed before anyone said a word. Her heart felt like it would burst any second as she wished she would have never asked.

Not only did she planted a seed of doubt in herself  but also in her friend. It was evident both became lost in their heads, questioning wether their relationships had a future.

Kassie stood from the table but before she could leave, Abraham stood in her way. "Let's go talk—"

Kassie actually attempted to push him back to no success. "You should have told me from the beginning."

After she walked around him, heading upstairs, Belinda followed suit. As they walked down the corridor, Kassie muttered things to herself. Belinda grabbed her arm, forcing her to come to a halt.

"Calm down."

Kassie faced her and Belinda had to force herself to not cry at the sight of her friend quivering, tears in her eyes. "How could they keep this from us?"

Belinda released her friend's arm as her gaze fell upon the wood floor. "Kassie, we have to think well before making a decision."

Kassie whipped away the tears that trickled down her cheeks. "They should have told us from the beginning—were they going to wait until we were going through the change?" She let out a sound of frustration before whirling around. "They played their cards well."

"What do you mean?"

Kassie fisted her fingers into fists at her sides, knuckles turning white. "If I would have known the day I was chosen, it would have been easier to walk away...but now...I'm in too deep."

"No one would ever force the change on either of you." Belinda turned to come face to face with Zaeley. "I think it's been overdue for us to sit and talk."

Without a word, they followed her to the living room. Belinda's eyes narrowed when she didn't see anyone. She took a seat beside Kassie, fidgeting with her bracelet.

"I think it's best that I start from the beginning." Zaeley met Belinda's gaze. "The night you rejected Fane...I asked the council for advice and was told to include certain things in the contract that I chose not to."

"Such as?" Belinda asked, the curiosity evident in her tone.

"You were to be turned into a vampire within the three years."

Belinda's eyes widened. "W—what?"

"I went against their advice because long ago, I witnessed my best friend be forced to mate with a man who she did not love..." She paused, clearly trying her best to not break down. "For centuries, I watched her suffer...Now, you must understand why I wrote the contract the way I did—with so many loopholes. I wanted Fane and you to fall in love...I didn't want you to be forced to be with each other and live the rest of your lives in a hell that you wouldn't be able to escape from..."

"Nothing of what you have said excuses the fact they chose to hide that we can die during the change," Kassie said.

"I'm not happy neither of them said anything, but it's evident that Abraham was afraid of loosing you." She glanced at Belinda. "Perhaps, Fane didn't see the point of telling you when you continue to say you want nothing to do with him." Belinda averted her gaze. "Child, you cannot tell him one thing today and another tomorrow."